Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe year

igoren

......in the Tony Bacon "The Les Paul Guitar Book"......It does not mention anything about a Deluxe Pro...

Try looking under Pro Deluxe, JAC.

In my copy of the same book there is one pictured on page 70 with a brief description on p. 72 and a more detailed listing on page 153.

P.

• 1 month later...

According to "The Gibson Les Paul Book: A complete history of Les Paul guitars" by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, the Pro Deluxe was made between 1976 and 1982.

In Tony Bacon's "The ultimate guitar book", the author writes 1977 as start of production. I don't want to start a debate, just pointing out to the fact, that even the author Himself is unsure.

Cheers... Bence

Yes. As was said pretty much right at the start of the thread the Pro De-Luxe was first released in April 1977 in Europe and slightly later in the USA.

As a stock of the instruments would have had to have been built up it's likely that production started in late '76 for a release date the following Spring.

These instruments would, therefore, have been allocated 1976 serial numbers although the model was not yet available to the public.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yeah - I have tried a few different heads and combos..... I can always get an overdrive I like and if I bump it up a bit more with a pedal (I mostly use my Keeley RAT and a re-issue MXR dynacomp in combination) I can get a great lead tone that rivals anything I have with humbuckers. For cleans, I thought the Bassman would be tone heaven.... but not to my ears. It's not a thin sound... if anything, there is too much bulge in the mids - it actually sounds like it i lacking some of the sparkle or chime that you might expect..... Of course, it may be that my ears are just knackered after too many years playing loud! I can't moan too much - I have some guitars with really great clean sounds.....

7118135807_48ddd1ebb6_o.jpg

27012012288.jpg

This is one problem with p90s, no height adjustment. It sounds like they need to drop. Try raising the bridge crazy high, so as to put the strings a couple of mm higher above the pups than they are now. This will make it all but unplayable of course but it's just to check the tone. If it improves, and I think it will, you could consider sanding a little off the bottom of the covers, on those pups, or on a new set if you don't want to vandalise the originals.

Archived