Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville built -v- Memphis built

Bob Isaac

Is there any difference between the Historic 335's built in the Nashville plant and the Memphis plant?

Bob

I have a 1963 Block reissue from Nashville and a 1960 50th anniversary from Memphis . I would say the Nashville one is the nicer of the two . Not to say the 1960 isnt great but the 1963 has more mojo going on definately

• 1 month later...

Is there any difference between the Historic 335's built in the Nashville plant and the Memphis plant?

Bob

I have a 2002 Memphis "BB King" 345 and while the comments here are on MY guitar, I think they are pretty indicative of some of Gibson's work in general.

1. I feel that if you put a transparent finish on a guitar it should show some grain. Leave grainless tops and backs for the paint spray booth filled with black paint.

2. The binding match to the top is sadly not what I'd expect from Gibson. This one was rushed.

None of this affects the playability or its sound, it plays and sounds great, but I've seen Carlo Robelli guitars that look better. I am not fussy about "fit and finish" or I wouldn't have bought it.

I looked at Nashville and Memphis ES 335's before buying. Generally speaking, the attention to detail, wood selection, and everything else about the Nashville '59 Historic I bought are superb. In my case, it was worth the extra money. Not one single complaint from me.

59ES335.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bob

I have a 2012 Nashville made ES-335 1959 Custom Historic Reissue on layaway. Wow! What a mouthful. I was as confused as anyone about the location of the "Custom Shop" and just what the difference is between the Nashville and Memphis made ES-335's. I was also confused about exactly which 355's were custom and which were production line. The only one that I could get my hands on to play was a Memphis VOS. It was a magnificent sounding and playing guitar.

So I did quite a bit of research before buying. I searched the internet forums, called some high end dealers that dealt in these guitars, and talked to a couple of customer service reps at Gibson. Eventually found some folks that seemed to be very knowledgeable on these guitars; people who had actually built them, and others that had toured both factories. Here is what I was told. I can't verify this so don't kill the messenger if you know some of it to be false.

In 2012:

- All ES-335 bodies are made in Memphis with the original 1959 steam bending presses. That is very cool if true.

- Some of the guitars are finished there in the Memphis Custom Shop. A new entity I'm told. All the VOS finishes were made in Memphis.

- Some of the bodies are sent to Nashville to be finished in the Nashville Custom Shop, e.g. the Nashville Historic. Supposedly Gibson made no more than 250 of each color/finish Nashville which were the Antique Vintage Sunburst, Faded Cherry, and Sparkling Merlot.

- It is easy to tell which guitar is made where if you have them in your hand and can read the label. Otherwise, good luck! It looks like all the "Custom" offerings from Memphis or Nashville both have the larger pick guard that extends back behind the bridge.

- I was also told that the ES-335 operation will be moved totally to Memphis after 2012. If true, that could add a little bit of collect-ability to the Nashville's.

Which is better? Who knows? From what I could gather they are both made with the exact same tone woods, pots, caps, hardware, etc. I had some folks swear that the Memphis ES guitars where the absolute best made and sounding on earth and others that said "it ain't a true custom unless made in Nashville" From what I have seen, heard, and played, they are both outstanding.

I was waffling and almost had my salesman change my order to a Custom Historic 1957 Les Paul that I had been eyeing for a while. He said, "Tell you what. I will go over to the warehouse and play them both and tell you what I think". He called me back about and hour later and said, "That ES-335 is the nicest sounding hum bucker guitar that I have ever played in my life. If it were me and I could only have one, it would most definitely be the 335. Get the LP later if you can". So, next week, I pay off the 335 and take delivery.

Here are a couple of demos from a Memphis and Nashville ES-335. See if you can tell a difference.

Cheers,

Woolly

Archived