Gibson Brands Forums

Light pressure on neck causes string bending

hungledink

I have an epiphone sg. The other day it fell flat on its back and since then even slight pressure on the neck during playing causes it to sound like I am bending strings, and sometimes even tilting the neck up while playing has the same effect. Up ti now I hadn't noticed this problem

The guitar otherwise seems fine, stays in tune ok.

Is it possible to have broken the truss rod and have the guitar stay in tune? Or are there other factors which may cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum. Loose necks on Epi SGs are nothing new, there have many complaints in the past. I have a 2010 and have no problem with mine, it's as solid as the 60s Gibson version I had. I would think that it would take something more than what you've described, to break the truss rod. When you look at the neck pocket, has the finish been disturbed or cracked? There will be a few more weighing in with their thoughts shortly. Meanwhile, you might do a search (upper right-hand corner) on "SG neck" and read what others have experienced. You'll also find that there are some friendly, knowledgable people that hang out here. Stand by. Oh, here's your forum-warmimg present. +1

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Nice to find a forum where newbies arent treated with disdain. [thumbup]

There does seem to be a very small area, on the string side where the neck joins the body, where the finish seems to have chipped off. There also appears to be a very small, maybe half a millimeter maybe, slit going up below the fretboard. Hard to say if its a crack or not due to the placement and it may have been there since I bought it as its so small.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Nice to find a forum where newbies arent treated with disdain. [thumbup]

There does seem to be a very small area, on the string side where the neck joins the body, where the finish seems to have chipped off. There also appears to be a very small, maybe half a millimeter maybe, slit going up below the fretboard. Hard to say if its a crack or not due to the placement and it may have been there since I bought it as its so small.

Sounds like bad news. There should not be a crack in that area. It sounds like the neck joint has come loose. You'll have to get it into a luthier to have it fixed, unless you're really good with tools and finish repair.

Archived