Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my new Epiphone

Jessem5591

I just recently bought a brand new Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul after hearing NOTHING but good things. I plugged it up and quickly noticed it was lacking some oomph. Distortion sounds light and flat, and sounds no better, if not worse than my 150 dollar Axl guitar.

I still have the stock strings on, but I cant imagine changing them would make much of a diffrence. Could someone identify the problem? Thanks.

Jessem,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried adjusting the pickup heights or at least checking to make sure they are not too low?

Try this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

(Keep in mind these are basic reference points. Nothing is written in stone.)

or...

Do you think there is a problem with the electronics? If it is new and there is a serious problem...return it.

Willy

Thanks for your reply, just wondering of pickups being to low was a common problem in new guitars? And how would I go about adjusting them? Ive never done anythink like that and Im sure your link has the info but Im limitedbto phone internet so the link doesnt open properly. And finally what is a tell tale sign of a major electonics issue?

Sorry for so mqny questions, just concerned I might have over spent on somehing that is broken. Thanks.

Press down on the last fret and measure from the top of the pickup pole screws to the bottom of the string.

Neck Pickup:

3/32" on bass and treble side

Bridge pickup:

1/16" on bass and treble side

Adjustments can be done by turning the outside center screws....one on each side of pickup on the mounting rings.

Clockwise raises the pickup. Counter-clockwise to lower.

Consider that most guitars today are only setup to the most general specs. Accurate setups depend on individual taste and may also be affected by seasonal and weather changes. I re-adjust most of my guitars (especially truss rod and bridge height adjustments) about twice a year.

It ain't rocket science once you learn how.

As to it being broken...Possible but probably not.

Also, you have what is known as dependent wiring. If the toggle switch is in the center position and one of the pickups is turned down it will effect the other.

Good luck,

Willy

Hard to say if you aren't able to compare it with another guitar. I haven't bought a <$1,000 Epiphone that didn't go to a luthier first for adjustments. Money well spent, though he sometimes took 3 weeks for the tweaks. One MIK Sheraton got new pups, but only because I wanted SD P90s on it.

Could it be that is just has lower output or mellower voiced pickups than your other guitar. What about the condition or quality of the cable. What amp is being used? What sort of sound is the OP aiming for?

There are too many variables that we don't know, so in my opinion he should take it back down to the store and ask them to give it a test run and see if they think there is something wrong with it. ... You might want to ask them to do a pro setup while they are at it.

Archived