Gibson Brands Forums

wildkat

animus

Hi all.

So my son has a wildkat royale, which looks as good as it plays - once set up nicely anyway! Only issue is cosmetic and I'm asking for a little help. In his wisdom, he swapped out the volume/tone knobs from black to gold and in doing so decided to super glue them on. Apparently a blob of superglue landed on the shoulder of the guitar and he wiped it away quickly with loo roll! That must have been the worst decision ever as he then had chunks of loo toll stuck to his guitar! haha. we've managed to get rid of the gunk and the loo roll but it has taken some of the lacquer away. I wandered if anyone knew whether these were poly or nitro finish as I can't find it anyway and also is it worth a touch up? it's literally about 50p size area.

thanks

Gluing knobs on a guitar is very much not a good idea.

If any of the electronics malfunctionthen is will be very difficult to remove and/or replace them.

Extremely difficult depending on the glue.

It has a poly finish.

Welcome to the forum Animus!

As far as I know all Epiphones have poly finishes on them.

Many will tell you it is polyurethane but, I believe it is actually polyester.

It can be difficult, though not impossible, to repair.

As to your son gluing knobs on a guitar to keep them from sliding off...

Don't be too hard on him.

It would qualify him to be a tech at Guitar Center!!! (American joke...well...sort of.)

Good luck,

Willy

For the next time: All he has to do is put a tiny piece of tape on the shaft. If the knob is still loose, add a little more until it's secure.

Yeppers, I'd recommend the plumber's teflon tape. A few wraps around, replace knob, waalaaa!!!

And yes on the poly finish. Welcome to the forum and the 'Kat Klub [thumbup]

Archived