Gibson Brands Forums

Change knobs on ES-335 PRO

indiekiduk

I'd like to buy the ES-335 PRO now that the cherry appears to be readily in stock, but I'd like to change the volume knobs to be the silver top hat ones like these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/1195-F?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2012-10-gp&gclid=CN6Es4nen7MCFS6CQgodwWcAAQ

However this Pro has the volume knobs that pop out for pickup switching so was wondering if you have to buy special ones that support that? And is there anything else to watch out for when changing the knobs? Thanks

t2mw5kxejbxxxxxxxx43860.jpg

Nice guitars, I'm stuck between the 335 pro and 355! I'm kinda leaning towards the ES-355 mainly because of the binding around the headstock and the gold hardware!

To answer your question, although these pickups are coiltapped, I don't think you'll have much trouble swapping out the knobs.

I prefer the reflector type knobs myself, good choice!

Alan

Remove them slowly and carefully.

Although I do not know for sure, they are probably Alpha pots. (metric)

metric = coarse-knurled

imperial = fine-knurled

Once removed, if split shafts need adjusting:

Screwdriver to make shafts tighter.

Pliers to make shafts looser.

But you probably already knew that.

Good luck,

Willy

Tried out the ES-335 Pro at the Guitar Center in Brea today and unfortunately it didn't play well, as the other poster said it feels just like the other Dots I've tried, just a bit clunky. Also the fretboard was too light brown - didn't look good with the cherry body. They had a black ES-355 so gave that a go and it played really well, I think it was the ebony fretboard model and felt nice and fast just like a Les Paul Custom. Unfortunately using the Bigsby put it out of tune, I think because the G tuning peg had a problem, it was too loose. Also after playing for a few minutes I started testing other things I noticed the bridge pickup volume knob was loose and could turn past 10, and also when I took the lead out and put it back in the lead jack broke and the guitar never made a sound again! Guess they don't make Epis like they used to [glare]

photo2jh.jpg

photo1ea.jpg

Tried out the ES-335 Pro at the Guitar Center in Brea today and unfortunately it didn't play well, as the other poster said it feels just like the other Dots I've tried, just a bit clunky. Also the fretboard was too light brown - didn't look good with the cherry body. They had a black ES-355 so gave that a go and it played really well, I think it was the ebony fretboard model and felt nice and fast just like a Les Paul Custom. Unfortunately using the Bigsby put it out of tune, I think because the G tuning peg had a problem, it was too loose. Also after playing for a few minutes I started testing other things I noticed the bridge pickup volume knob was loose and could turn past 10, and also when I took the lead out and put it back in the lead jack broke and the guitar never made a sound again! Guess they don't make Epis like they used to [glare]

photo2jh.jpg

photo1ea.jpg

I bought an EPI ES-345 a few months ago and the third time I plugged my cord into it the jack failed. I replaced the jack myself with a good Switchcraft jack but I was pretty disappointed to see how cheaply made the factory installed one was. I figured the rest of the electronics were of the same quality so I gutted it and upgraded the pickups, pots, and caps and installed locking tuners and a roller bridge. Its now a fine instrument but I felt pretty disallusioned by the quality of the stuff that the factory used.

Archived