Gibson Brands Forums

Satin finish becoming glossy?

crazytrain513

Hey everyone, I apologize if this sounds a bit confusing but I had a couple questions I really would like to get cleared up to ease my curiosity.

I recently purchased a 2012 Les Paul Studio Satin and I've been reading online about how the finish changes over time and I'm starting to worry that perhaps, a satin finish was not the right choice (I picked it because I loved the overall look and the neck was a breeze to play).

** Note that these statements are not necessarily specific to Gibson, but just general statements I've found relating to satin finishes on guitars, so I'm not sure how this applies to me **

1) Some people say over time, that the satin finish will "gloss" wherever it comes in contact with your hands, clothes, etc. Does this happen because the finish is smoothing out or because the finish is actually wearing off?

2) Some people say that the satin finish coloring rubs off on clothing and that people should be weary about wearing light colors when playing these instruments.

3) I hear that upon initially purchasing a satin finished guitar, one should wipe it down after playing every single time and that color will wipe off as well? I also hear that one should either add more nitro coats or polish the guitar up to avoid the above stated issues.

I've had the guitar about two weeks and one thing I HAVE noticed is that the neck is becoming slightly sticky in areas. I wash my hands before playing it every time, and judging by how it's only been two weeks, I'm not sure that this is normal, even if I do sweat a bit while playing.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and information to help me sort out fact from fiction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello! Yes, the satin finished guitars will become glossy after a while from the rubbing it gets from Your arm and clothes. Nitro is porous, if it's applied in a thin layer it will get smooth very soon. Also regular polishing smoothens the finish too.

As for the neck becoming sticky, I've only noticed this after 2 years of owning my 50's Tribute. Interesting indeed, I don't know the cause, but applying some polish on it stops this issue for a while.

For point no. 2: that's true for ALL guitars with nitrocellulose finish: wear undyed cotton shirts when playing it, not because any other textile will "rub the finish off", but the dye can get absorbed into the finish. (Have You seen those white Gibsons with pink stains on them from the case lining?)

For point no. 3: strong exaggeration.

Cheers... Bence

Satin turning glossy is unavoidable. The action of your hands and clothes is buffing the finish to a shine.

Some satin finished Gibson guitar models have a very thin nitro finish and the nitro can wear through quickly - some of the faded models come to mind.

Regarding disappearing color - If you have one of the models with a thin finish, it can sometimes wear off quickly. There's been plenty of posts about this - some make a purchase without knowing the ins and outs of thin finishes. If you don't want that aged/worn/faded look, avoid that type of finish - it looks nice new, but wears quickly. Instead of spraying on extra coats of finish, buy a model with a thicker, more traditional finish.

Sticky neck - as Btoth mentioned, clean and polish.

Hello! Yes, the satin finished guitars will become glossy after a while from the rubbing it gets from Your arm and clothes. Nitro is porous, if it's applied in a thin layer it will get smooth very soon. Also regular polishing smoothens the finish too.

As for the neck becoming sticky, I've only noticed this after 2 years of owning my 50's Tribute. Interesting indeed, I don't know the cause, but applying some polish on it stops this issue for a while.

For point no. 2: that's true for ALL guitars with nitrocellulose finish: wear undyed cotton shirts when playing it, not because any other textile will "rub the finish off", but the dye can get absorbed into the finish. (Have You seen those white Gibsons with pink stains on them from the case lining?)

For point no. 3: strong exaggeration.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the detailed response. Alright well that makes me feel a bit better. "Glossy" means it just gets shinier right? I was just concerned because people were saying the color would actually rub off. That doesn't happen then? I'm fine with it becoming glossy because if it starts to look really weird a few years down the road, I can always just polish the whole guitar up.

There's been plenty of posts about this - some make a purchase without knowing the ins and outs of thin finishes. If you don't want that aged/worn/faded look, avoid that type of finish - it looks nice new, but wears quickly.

I know the ins and outs of finishes, thank you very much...I was just wondering because I knew they become glossy overtime, but I'd never read or heard about the color actually rubbing off (some said they could see the actual wood). That's what worried me because no one had mentioned that to me. But if it becomes glossy, that's not so big a deal to me, as long as the color remains.

Hello! Another excuse for posting pictures of my Studio :D.

This is a few days after the purchase:

LPST50WGCH8.jpg

This nowadays:

HPIM2963.jpg

No, the finish didn't start to wear off yet (after 2 years of using).

Cheers... Bence

Awesome! Looks like all I see are just some oils and glossy spots -- that doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for posting -- she's a beauty btw.

Thank You! Actually there are no glossy spots, it's completely uniform thanks to regular polishing with Virtuso Polish (Gibson's own is very popular too). Cheers... Bence

Ah I see. Well if you don't mind me asking, how often do you polish it and how do you apply it (as in, do you use cloth or steel wool or what)? I've been thinking about trying that out myself but I'm not sure how often you have to keep up with it and if it has to dry after application and whatever else. Haha.

Hello!

I polish them more often then I really should. I think a normal person would get away with polishing it in 4 month periods (I only use the cleaner once a year, tough). Some might suggest microfiber cloth, but I found out that they scratch the finish. I only use pure, undyed, white 100% cotton sheets now (I slice up cheap t-shirts for rags).

But I also got great results from using old-fashioned diapers (!) made from cotton - they are slightly abbrasive, making the satin finish more glossy. I don't use them on my gloss-finished Les Paul, tough.

As far as the process is concerned: first I remove the pickguard, truss rod cover. I drip a half-inch diameter drop of polish on the surface of the guitar and immediately rub it in with circular motions - never let it dry, work quickly - it can damage the finish if You let it dry!. Three drops are enough for the complete top of guitar - now You can estimate how much You need for the complete instrument. Don't use it on unfinished surfaces, like fretboard. Remove all residues and take extra care about the hard to reach places, don't let the compound to dry there.

When You are finished with wooden surfaces, You can clean the plastic and metallic parts as well with the already soaken polishing cloth - this time do not add more polish.

If You are still unsure, I am very confident to say that You'll find a plenty of Youtube videos on the subject.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I polish them more often then I really should. I think a normal person would get away with polishing it in 4 month periods (I only use the cleaner once a year, tough). Some might suggest microfiber cloth, but I found out that they scratch the finish. I only use pure, undyed, white 100% cotton sheets now (I slice up cheap t-shirts for rags).

But I also got great results from using old-fashioned diapers (!) made from cotton - they are slightly abbrasive, making the satin finish more glossy. I don't use them on my gloss-finished Les Paul, tough.

As far as the process is concerned: first I remove the pickguard, truss rod cover. I drip a half-inch diameter drop of polish on the surface of the guitar and immediately rub it in with circular motions - never let it dry, work quickly - it can damage the finish if You let it dry!. Three drops are enough for the complete top of guitar - now You can estimate how much You need for the complete instrument. Don't use it on unfinished surfaces, like fretboard. Remove all residues and take extra care about the hard to reach places, don't let the compound to dry there.

When You are finished with wooden surfaces, You can clean the plastic and metallic parts as well with the already soaken polishing cloth - this time do not add more polish.

If You are still unsure, I am very confident to say that You'll find a plenty of Youtube videos on the subject.

Cheers... Bence

Very detailed and helpful! Thanks a lot, Bence. I have your post screenshot and everything. Gonna give it a shot in a couple weeks.

Archived