Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 conundrum

gnappi

I found a late 90's 175 in a local store with really nicely book matched top / rear laminate in a natural finish. The store advertised it as not having ANY blemishes or marks. I went to play it today and while it played and sounded great, there was bad news.

Where the right forearm rests on the wood and in the rear the finish had wrinkled noticeably from long durations of a sweaty arm and chest resting there, and the neck had someone run a not too skillfully applied 0000 steel wool across it to take the glassy finish off, in places, not uniformly on the neck.

The price was IMO high at $3200 and they're open to offers but...

I like the feel, and sound and would like to buy it but resale is DEFINITELY going to be a hard sell if I ever trade up. To add to the problem I found another natural finish one without all of the nice quilting on the top and back for ~$2500.

There's the conundrum... Would the quilted model be worth my trouble negotiating for it? Or should I really just take the plain vanilla model that is like new? I'd definitely have no problem selling the latter one if I decided to move up.

I'm not one to fawn all over my instruments polishing them daily, but I don't let them get like the former. I feel like if I bought the "sweat" model I'd treat it like a beater... :-)

Here's the deal to me...

Take what you have the cash for and that plays well and that makes you feel good for your purchase.

What the heck, an Epi 175 can be a good-feeling guitar.

Frankly I dislike feeling lied to by a guitar store. Even with a guitar or two I've bought at the one that's more than an hour away that's the closest of about any kind, after one experience I just plain don't trust them even though they're the closest real guitar store around.

It has nothing to do with the actual guitar(s) 'cuz I love what I got - I just feel... cheated.

I wish I didn't. And I feel that "cheated" feeling every time I pick up one of the guitars I bought there.

m

Well if it was me, I'd go with the plane Jane one if it sounds/plays good. If there's finish blems, I'd rather I was the one to add them.

Just my $0.02

A $0.02 well spent. I got the plain Jane. Oh BTW, I've never met a 175 that I didn't like. I liked some a bit more than others but NEVER one I didn't like. Even the one with many finish checks I liked but I didn't like the BS "excellent condition" claim. His loss...

Glad you're happy with the purchase. "Prettier" doesn't necessarily play better, nor sound better. And I also dislike feeling lied to.

My personal best wishes for your long and happy relationship with an exceptional instrument.

m

Glad you're happy with the purchase. "Prettier" doesn't necessarily play better, nor sound better. And I also dislike feeling lied to.

My personal best wishes for your long and happy relationship with an exceptional instrument.

m

Well.. if my relationship with my new 175 lasts as long as my marriage did (29 years) I'll be /very happy, but long dead before my 29'th anniversary with the guitar :-)

Ah, but I too closely resemble that remark. Closer to 70 than I'd wish, but then... considering the alternative it ain't too bad and I'm still both sorta wigglin' and I'm still pickin'.

m

Remember, Milo: you can be "close to 70" from either side for at least a decade.

Just keep breathin' and pickin'. Both are essential to life.

Hey, I'm still wigglin'.

Still averaging between 60 and 80-hour workweeks or I'd be pickin' more. Almost exactly half way between 65 and 70.

<grin> Just noted that you're my little sister's age. <sigh>

BTW, I used to sail when I could afford it.

m

Archived