Gibson Brands Forums

Eddie, Dimebag, or Randy?

crazytrain513

one of a kind, yes, but in no ways a neo-classical pioneer.

that title belongs to and is shared by Blackmore, Roth and Schenker...and to a lesser degree, Brian May.

bah, you're just jelaous of the mighty YNG! [flapper]

what makes you think he has no feel? and what is feel? [rolleyes]

Roth and Blackmore, I'm with you there. Schenker plays an awful lot of pentatonic stuff to be considered neo-classical. Of course I'll reserve judgment there because I'm not familiar with Schenkers obscure stuff.

But Brian May? Neoclassical? He may have brought a precision to Rock that is usually associated with classical, but he's all Rock and Roll.

one of a kind, yes, but in no ways a neo-classical pioneer.

that title belongs to and is shared by Blackmore, Roth and Schenker...and to a lesser degree, Brian May.

bah, you're just jelaous of the mighty YNG! [flapper]

what makes you think he has no feel? and what is feel? [rolleyes]

Well, he took neo-classical to a new level. I also think Alex Lifeson is somewhat neo-classical (or, was in the late 70s/early 80s). He played a nylon-stringer on some parts/intros of songs (the end of "Temples Of Syrinx", "Farewell To Kings", "The Trees", "La Villa Strangiato"), and he did classical runs in his solos. Plus, Rush had that whole flavor between 2112 and Moving Pictures (the riff in "Freewill" is a great example). The very early albums were more bluesy (even Caress Of Steel, especially "The Necromancer" with it's spacey Robin Trower-meets-Floyd first part), and after 1981 they moved to poppier, synthy stuff (obviously). Those 5 great studio albums in the 76-81 period are their neo-classical era. Heavy prog.

I love Yngwie. Most of the haters complain about fast players cause' they can't do it. Sure, a guy who has no rhythm and just plays finger exercises at 1000000 bpm is boring, but no great shredder is like that. Yngwie, Satriani, Vai, Paul Gilbert, and most other shredders are natural musicians with a great ear and rhythm.

Archived