Gibson Brands Forums

Epi tech-II PUPS

gnappi

I have these pups on an Epiphone S-600 Strat clone, does anyone know where can I find them? I can get whole guitars on EBAY but that makes for an expensive set of pups that I'd like to put into a fat strat body project.

Dont waste your time and money on Tech-II pickups. They werent a very good pickup. If they were, they would have lasted longer than three years in Epiphone's lineup. There are much better choices for pickups available these days that would serve a Fat-Strat project very well.

Dont waste your time and money on Tech-II pickups. They werent a very good pickup. If they were, they would have lasted longer than three years in Epiphone's lineup. There are much better choices for pickups available these days that would serve a Fat-Strat project very well.

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I own them in an S600 and they're one of the best sounding sets of pups I've ever owned. After 50 odd years of playing and owning just about every guitar I ever wanted BEFORE they were stupid expensive that says a LOT.

The guitar body and tremolo sucks but those pups rock. I think the guitar failed because like many they failed because they tried to duplicate a success called stratocaster. Too bad too.

Anyway, I may have to buy a whole guitar, scrap the body and get a strat body to mount them in after all. :-(

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but I own them in an S600 and they're one of the best sounding sets of pups I've ever owned. After 50 odd years of playing and owning just about every guitar I ever wanted BEFORE they were stupid expensive that says a LOT.

The guitar body and tremolo sucks but those pups rock. I think the guitar failed because like many they failed because they tried to duplicate a success called stratocaster. Too bad too.

Anyway, I may have to buy a whole guitar, scrap the body and get a strat body to mount them in after all. :-(

I had a set in my S-500 as well. I didnt like them at all.

Buying the whole guitar is the only way you will most likely find them though.

I dont think I'd say that the higher-end S-Series guitars failed because they tried to duplicate a Stratocaster. More likely because they strayed too far away from the success of the Strat. They tried to make them too cheaply, yet with too many options. There were twelve different guitars in total and seven to choose from for the first three or four years of the run - as well as four different bridge options. Most people that bought upward of the S-400 ended up with the Bennder bridge, which was pretty terrible as the saddles were highly proprietary, had a trem-block disintegration problem and the bridge post spacing was 4mm too narrow at the centers to easily retrofit a Floyd Rose. Then there were the poor fellows that ended up with the Steinberger bridges, which seemed to have been the second most common bridge on the 500-900 models. Major stability and mechanical issues due to the soft metal that were used in the production of the bridge. Couple that with the non-modular design of the locknut (Floyd Rose locknuts dont fit on the S-Series guitars) and the cheap laminates they used for the bodies back then and you pretty much have a recipe for failure. If you notice, the S-300/310 & FAT-210/310 were a success. By 1990 they stopped using laminates for the most part and the only bridge options were a vintage tremolo, 2-point tremolo or a Floyd Rose for some FAT models. And the Floyd Rose only became an option again many years after the S400-900 had been discontinued. Once Epiphone stopped focusing on folly and cut the fat, the S-Series strat-style guitars became quite a success and were produced until 2004. Of course, as a beginner guitar only and was eventually replaced by the Les Paul Special as Epiphone's entry level guitar.

I actually love my S-500. I've had it for almost twenty years. But really, the only great thing about it is the neck. It is one of the best necks I've ever played. I've replaced everything else except the body (and the tuners because they are actually really good, high ratio tuners).

Anyway, good luck on your hunt. There are a lot of great pickups out there at good prices if you cant find the Tech-II.

Archived