Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot Locking Tuner Question

Alex C.

I recently purchased an Epiphone Dot Deluxe, new. Can anyone recommend a brand of locking tuning machine heads that do not require any drilling into the Headstock (that is, a brand where the shaft it the same size as the factory installed heads.) Thanks!

Alex, greetings. Unfortunately, I don't have your answer, but thought that I'd welcome you to our little party. Someone more knowledgable than I am will be by shortly. So, stay tuned. When you get a chance, post a few pics of your guitar. You know what they say, a picture........BTW, here's your forum warming present. +1

If it has Grover tuners, they're most likely a 10mm hole, and you'll find many modern tuners will fit this size.

That's about all I can say with relative certainty, but someone will have the rest of the answers.

Welcome to the forum!

Alex,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Haven't seen one in person, but I'm guessing from the pics you didn't put up that that LSAR is correct.

Do they say Grover on the back? If they do, they are 10mm holes. Others are sometimes 8mm.

Why not remove one string, one tuner and measure the hole? If you are replacing them you will need to do that anyway.

You can start your search here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html

You may also want to check AllParts and Guitarfetish.

Guitarfetish carries Sperzel style and Wilkenson EZ Locks, all of which go into 10mm holes.

If the screw holes do not line up perfectly they can be filled.

IF a screw goes very close to the old location, I use a toothpick and a bit of Elmers to fill the hole.

I then re-drill with one of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940737000P

I first use a needle as a center punch: (the ruler keeps the tuners straight)

1000583.jpg

I mention this because if you get "exact style" Grover replacements they will most likely mot be a perfect match on the screw holes,

Reason being...The ones that come on the guitar (if Grover) are Grover License. New ones would not.

If you go with a machine head that has screw holes in a completely different location then just fill the old holes with crayon wax.

Take matching crayon wax shavings and press them into the old holes. Polish over.

Good luck,

Willy

I recently purchased an Epiphone Dot Deluxe, new. Can anyone recommend a brand of locking tuning machine heads that do not require any drilling into the Headstock (that is, a brand where the shaft it the same size as the factory installed heads.) Thanks!

Welcome Alex. Glad to have you here. I just installed some Tonepro Kluson Locking Tuners on my ES-345 and I think they work great. However, you have to drill the holes bigger to use them. But that aside, I did a bit of research and found that this question has been asked before on the forum. Here's a link to that discussion.

http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-57023.html

Archived