Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop ES-330 VOS buzzing

dougg330

So I got one of the new Custom Shop 330's and have been over the moon about it. Then it started to buzz and it was driving me crazy.

So yesterday, I took off the strings, loosened the PU covers and re-tightened the screws, tightened the nuts on the trapeze, removed the pickguard and sanded the edges to increase clearance around the PU's, then put it all back together and re-strung it.

Still buzzed.

Then inspiration hit. I looked at the lower thumbwheels on the bridge. Sure enough, they had worked loose about a half turn. When I tightened them down to the body, the buzz was gone again.

Will someone remind me of this next time it starts buzzing? :)

Hope this helps anyone else who mich encounter this problem.

So I got one of the new Custom Shop 330's and have been over the moon about it. Then it started to buzz and it was driving me crazy.

So yesterday, I took off the strings, loosened the PU covers and re-tightened the screws, tightened the nuts on the trapeze, removed the pickguard and sanded the edges to increase clearance around the PU's, then put it all back together and re-strung it.

Still buzzed.

Then inspiration hit. I looked at the lower thumbwheels on the bridge. Sure enough, they had worked loose about a half turn. When I tightened them down to the body, the buzz was gone again.

Good tip! I have another contribution. Same guitar, It woke up one day with an annoying buzz...it was perfect until them, so I reasoned that it was not the guitar per se.

Started strumming until tracing the buzz to the inside of the box...realized that the internal cabling was now somehow resting on the box...maybe I left the case backwards or something, so I just pushed it away from the box gently with the fingers and voila, buzz was gone, hasnt returned yet...a couple of months from this

It all goes to show that sometimes people goes too quickly to blame Gibson or QC, while this is just normal stuff...

(btw, have some similar stories on LPs, but that is another forum)

hoping this might help some fellow owners of these wonderful guitars

Some of the wires in my Byrdland will vibrate against the body and cause a buzz on occasion.

Obviously can't hear it through an amp but when you're playing acoustically little things like that can drive you nuts until you first realize what the cause is.

Still buzzed.

I have previously posted about my ES330 Late '50's reissue as it buzzed really badly but not for a few weeks after I had bought it. I ended up having about 4 or 5 things done to it by my tech but in the end the switch connection was causing the buzz. I replaced the switch and all was good.

• 9 months later...

Archived