Gibson Brands Forums

It's all in the wrist...

daveinspain

I've been struggling with my bending technique. I wasn't hitting the notes where they should be. Too many times I'd be flat or sharp. Nothing sounds worse than that. Well yesterday at my guitar class my teacher noticed I was bending with my fingers and not my wrist... HELLOW!!! That was it. As it turns out the trick to bending accurately is in the wrist. Think of it as playing Foosball, (in spanish fubolín), The same movement you use to twist the pole to hit the ball is the same movement to bend the notes on your guitar. Hold down the string with your finger but don't push the strings with your fingers let your wrist bring you to the note. Of course there will be people who do it other ways but I have found this little adjustment in my technique has improved my playing 10 fold...

Sometime you need a qualified player/teacher to watch you play and pick up on what you are doing wrong or fix bad habits that could be preventing you from moving ahead in your abilities... This is probably not earth shattering news to most of you but it really helped me...

Very true. You might never realize something that You do wrongly until You get the positive criticism from someone else. Also mirrors can be useful. If You see Your own reflection, it can reveal many things You do awkwardly. Worth trying: practice in front of a mirror. Cheers... Bence

Be careful not to get too wild with your wrist. One night I was entertaining some friends on my LP and was bending strings almost 2 full steps, did this for about 15 miutes. next morning my wrist was very sore and had to take a couple days off from playing guitar.

I find that it takes just moderate wrist pivoting to bend a full step. Which is all I really need, its seldom I bend strings more than a step and a half.

Archived