Gibson Brands Forums

Gus G chat's to Chappers about life as Ozzy's main axe man

CoreyT

As much as I love Zakk, I think Gus is a more advanced player with a much better melodic sense. His stuff reminds me less of Zakk's pentatonic fiddlin' and more of Jake E. Lee's melodic runs, only on steroids with some Yngwie influence. However, NONE of Randy's followers remind me of him. Not even Zakk. Zakk is like a Leslie West on speed, Jake is more from the Michael Schenker, Alex Lifeson melodic school. Gus seems to come from both, as well as the Yngwie, Vai, Gilbert, Dimebag shred school.

Hello Kaleb!

Have to agree with You! Zakk, hm, well. A man with incredible abilities, but...he is wasting His talent on the things He is doing right now. He is able to play almost everything, but spends His time on this stoner stuff!

To show You what I mean, here is some of His playing.

This is where He took off from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCS6b6poGgk

To reach here:

With everything in between the two: No more tears, CPR - "I wish", with Lynyrd.

I think it's sad. Cheers... Bence

Hello Kaleb!

Have to agree with You! Zakk, hm, well. A man with incredible abilities, but...he is wasting His talent on the things He is doing right now. He is able to play almost everything, but spends His time on this stoner stuff!

To show You what I mean, here is some of His playing.

This is where He took off from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCS6b6poGgk

To reach here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTznscvhw4

With everything in between the two: No more tears, CPR - "I wish", with Lynyrd.

I think it's sad. Cheers... Bence

I don't think he's wasting anything: he's doin' what he wants, ain't he? I love the BLS stuff. I just wish he would stop trying to sing like Ozzy. On the Pride & Glory record, Book Of Shadows, and even the early BLS stuff, he had that "heavy metal Ronnie Van Zant" thing to his voice. He's an awesome singer.

He can play a lot more than a lot of people think (most people haven't heard his chicken pickin' even though he incorporates that stuff into his shredding). He just doesn't do that stuff as much as he should.

Hello! He is indeed a great vocalist and an outstanding guitarist. Also agree: if that's what He likes, that's what He shall do. I still feel a bit bitter about Him - but that's my subjective problem. Cheers... Bence

And that's fine. But Black Label gives me great joy.

And I love the Pride & Glory record. Southern-fried metal supremo. A beast of a guitarist/vocalist (Zakk), one of the best bass players ever (James LoMenzo), and monster drumming from Brian Tichy. Any doubts I had about lack of sound from a three-piece (which is odd for me as a giant Rush, Motorhead, Cream, Hendrix Experience, and Mountain fan) were gone after hearing that record.

Archived