Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera Deluxe Jorma Kaukonen Model Headstrock Issue

geh003

Hi,

I have a 2001 Riviera Deluxe Jorma Kaukonen signature model. I am the original owner. I am experiencing what looks like cracking under the clear coat on the head stock. I sent the guitar back to Gibson/Epiphone, but they say it is only cosmetic. Does anyone know what causes this? Please see the attached picture.

Thanks,

Greg

post-50853-078783500 1354567485_thumb.jpg

Greg, that really bites. Those are nice guitars. Do you have a similar problem anywhere else on the guitar or just there? Did it come on slowly or all of a sudden? The reason I ask is the first thing that popped into my head is moisture under the finish. But I would think that it would manifest itself elsewhere on the guitar, if that was the case. From the picture, it looks like hazing under the clearcoat, but you describe it as cracking. Must be a lot of little cracks. Did the factory give you any other info or possibilities? There are a few others here that are more experienced in these matters, I just didn't want you to think that nobody was paying attention. But I am curious, so I'll be watching for a more informed answer. Stay tuned. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Tweed2,

Thanks for replying. This is the only place that it is happening. It has been slowly getting worse over the years. It used to look like wood grain showing through the paint, but now it looks like haze or cracking in the clear coat. The finish is still smooth. The factory said they couldn't tell what or how this happened. I did notice one on e-bay with the same issue a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Greg

Hi,

I have a 2001 Riviera Deluxe Jorma Kaukonen signature model. I am the original owner. I am experiencing what looks like cracking under the clear coat on the head stock. I sent the guitar back to Gibson/Epiphone, but they say it is only cosmetic. Does anyone know what causes this? Please see the attached picture.

Thanks,

Greg

post-50853-078783500 1354567485_thumb.jpg

Since you say its not happening on any other part of the guitar I have to ask if it sits on a stand near your heating or cooling register and has had heated or cooled air blown on it that the rest of the guitar isn't being subjected to. It appears to me that it has been getting some expansion and contraction from temperature changes and moisture has gotten under the clearcoat. The wood also looks like it is beginning to crack and that could be due to exposure to moisture and then drying out. I used to do a lot of antique furniture restoration and have seen this type of thing in the finish of furniture when one side of the piece sat next to a home register while the other sides didn't get the same exposure. I'm surprised that this happened to a newer type finish. I've only seen this before in very old pieces.

Thanks for the info. I always keep the guitar in the case when I'm not playing it.

If it's a moisture issue, it should be on the edges. It stared in the middle of the headstock.

Maybe the neck was made out of wood that wasn't completely dried in the kiln.

Greg

• 4 months later...

This also happened on my Jorma Riviera, and I have seen it on other Epi Jormas on eBay too. Not sure why this model and location.

Yes, I've also seen this on another Jorma.

Fortunately, it does not effect playability,

or compromise structural integrity.

Archived