Gibson Brands Forums

Dazed and Confused...

daveinspain

Been Dazed and confused for so long its not true, try to find a pick up good for Rock and the Blues.

Lots of people talkin few of them know, what works in my set up or what majorly blows....

Damn... Just when I think I have the right pick ups for my project someone throws a bone in the works... So I'm all set to go with Symore Duncans, JB SH-4 for the bridge and a Jazz SH-2 for the neck and I call the guy at RS Guitarworks who's making my JP wiring kit. He told me to let him know what pupps I decide on. Well, he doesn't like that combo at all, says the JB is way too hot and the Jazz doesn't have enough mids. He says that combo will with fight the JP wiring set up not complement it... He likes Pearly Gates for the bridge and a Alnico II Pro for the neck.

Looking at Symour Duncan's pick up chart as far as EQ and output goes his suggestion looks pretty good. What do you guys think? pick up chart

Have you tried dimarzio's?

Hey Thunder, haven't tried anything yet.... just trying to do the research right now so I don't go spending a lot of money in the process of finding the right pick ups... There are so many options its mind boggling... I know you guys don't know what sound I'm going after either all I can say is I want a fat sound with bite that can clean up and be tasty too... Maybe too much to ask for??

I'd Agree with him the Pearly gate and the Alinco is a pretty standard match-up and Ive never heard to many people complain. Theres a lot to be said about matching the pickups somewhat unless you always plan on playing one or the other. That said what the hell do I know my favorite pickup combo is the P-90 and BB that came in my Studio BFG.

Other than that combo Gibson 57's are still my favorite sound.

I always recommend Gibsons own p-94s' date=' I put them in a Les Paul of mine and the tone is just to dream for[/quote']

p-94s are single coil. what is the point of coil tapping a single coil???

anyways the pearly gates does sound good, i dont know how the aph1s sound but im sure it's pretty good.

my recomendations

http://www.rocketguitarpickups.com/ i have one of these in the neck of my lp with the JP wiring system sounds awesome.

http://www.vanzandtpu.com/ and one of these. i dont have one in my LP (yet). but i have used them and they are the best sounding pickups ever. if you want i rocket pickup you could probably just send me like 140 dollars and i could go into the shop and he would make on speciffically how you want it.

dave - I want a fat sound with bite that can clean up and be tasty too.

i know the owner of rocket pickups, he is really cool and would know how to make the pickup you want.

I know you guys don't know what sound I'm going after

What are you talking about...? We all know you want to sound like Slash.

Just look up his setup on the net man... timoticon-spin.gif

Just kidding... so what else do you have in mind for that guitar? She doesnt have any hardware either, does she? You planning on using something special or the regular hardware?

What are you talking about...? We all know you want to sound like Slash.

Just look up his setup on the net man... timoticon-spin.gif

Just kidding... so what else do you have in mind for that guitar? She doesnt have any hardware either' date=' does she? You planning on using something special or the regular hardware?[/quote']

Thats the next step, hardware.... I was thinking just a standard stop bar and bridge. Always open to suggestions though...

Archived