Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul models, differences.

LoverOfLed

Hey guys!

I was just wondering what the difference between all the Les Paul models? I know that a custom is made with higher quality materials, and a studio is a Les Paul without all the fancy paint and bindings. But what separates a traditional from a standard from a deluxe etc. Is it just the quality of the materials? I know that some of each model have p90s, and some have alnicos, some have burstbuckers, I'm lost! [confused]

Hello and welcome.

And yes it is confusing.. we get asked this a lot on here.. Basically you have (if you can call it basic :))

Junior/ Melody Maker type models.. the cheapest of all Gibsons, loved by many for their basicness. Often just one pickup

Studios, next level up. As you say. Standards without the bling. Theres much discussion on if the woods and electronics that are used are different to a Standard. Of all of the stuff I have seen they are made in exactly the same way as a Standard, you even get once piece backs on some Studios. But some people will say they use lesser wood (prove it I say :))

Then you have Classics and Traditionals.. They are (for some odd reason) a bit cheaper than Standards and are what they say, they ahve Classic and Traditional hardware and pickups. The Traditionals are like the guitars made in the 50s and the Classics more like the guitars made in the 60s (I think). The main difference for me is the neck size. The 60s necks are slimmer and tappered and the 50s necks are more rounded (often called the Baseball Bat neck (even though most arnt quite that big).

Then the Standards, which are a cross between the Traditionals and the Classics in a way. Each year they have a new Standard and they show new stuff like locking tuners and bridges and more recently the addition of Push/Pull knobs. So the Standards kind of go with the times and the Classics and Traditionals are as they sound :)

Then theres the Custom models. I do believe that the wood used for these guitars is specifically selected for the best flames and density and stuff that I dont know that much about. They have triple binding and back binding and features like that (way too bling for me)

THEN theres the Artist models which sometimes are just normal Les Pauls with some specific features to the artist. Or sometimes they are what we call the historical re-issues. These are the cream de la cream of Gibsons (so they say :P).. and the most expensive going from like $10,000 to say $30,000 for the Eric Clapton Beno model.

So basically.. you gotta know what kind of pickups you are looking for, what sort of neck you want and then how you want it too look (and what you can afford ;))

If you let us know whats sort of thing you like we can suggest models for you..

Hope that helps.

Hello!

Customs, Reissues, Artist models are made at the Custom Shop.

As far as the Gibson USA range is concerned:

Top of the range is: "Standard" (chambered till 2012, then "modern weight-relieved", continously updated, modernized specs.)

"Traditional" is the "Standard's" conservative version (lower output pickups, "traditional weight-relieved" till 2013, now solid). "Classics" are very much like them, but not in continous production - limited editions, pop-up time to time.

"Studio" is the working man's version of "Standard" without the most of the decorative article.

"Special", "Junior" and the "Melody Makers" are once supposed to be the entry-level models. Slab-bodied guitars without cap.

All these have multiple variations spec-wise and limited edition models once in a while...

Gibson's site provides You more informations on the variations, although the specs are often inaccurate.

Cheers... Bence

Nice explanation gents.

I'm sure the OP has a better idea now.

When you look for a les Paul ,

Try as many as you can, then narrow to "feel". Neck, frets, action.

"Sound" pickups Alnico 2, more than likely are the 490r mostly on studios (great pus IMHO, highly underrated)

Classic 57&57+, found on traditionals, custom classics . A2's are smooth a little darker than A5s

Still excellent pickups

Alnico 5, burstbuckers 1,2,3 mostly found on vintage reissues and on Joe Bonamassa Lester studio.

These are excellent too. Burstbucker pro found on standards 2008-2011, currently also but now you split the coils on the new standards.

"Weight relieved, chambered, or non weight relief,

Weight rel. traditionals and some studios,

Chambered , standards and studios as well

Non, vintage Ri, and now the 2013 traditionals.

Well happy hunting, enjoy the search.

It isn't so much the "quality" of materials that distinguish the various models. It is the FEATURES that distinguish them. Pretty much the same woods are used (only higher figure tops used on higher end guitars). Binding and inlays and hardware is where the differences usually are. Most les pauls have mahogany bodies, maple tops (differing degrees of figuring) and a rosewood fretboard (some models use ebony). Structurally, the "differences" lie in details such as amount of mahogany pieces used in the body, and whether the body is solid, weight relieved, or chambered.

Archived