Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Bass

Dr. Thump

Greetings all,

I bought a Gibson bass from a local Long & McQuade's music store and was wondering if I could find any info on it, since I don't think I've seen anything like it before. This is what it looks like:

gibson1.jpg

gibson2.jpg

And the serial number is 02683384. I tried the serial number search on the site, but wasn't quite able to figure it out. Can anyone provide any details about this instrument?

• 1 month later...

OMG when I saw the new pictures with the Darkstar pickups, I almost choked! I understand that they may sound great, but I am a purist and the look wrong on the Les Paul IMO. besides I believe they were supposed to be drop in replacements for the Big EB-0 EB-3 basses.

I actually picked the pickups before picking the bass...when I was deciding what instrument to put the darkstars in, it seemed to me that a big, resonant chunk of mahogany would do just the trick. Don't get me wrong, the stock pickups were great, but now they have more punch than Mike Tyson and richness to spare. I know you're just stating your opinion but really any make & model could bring one to be a purist...but then there would never be a custom anything.

did you have to do any routing to install the pickups?

Me? No. The technician I hired? Yes [-X He had a heck of time, since the bass has an arched top, instead of a flat top like...well, like just about every bass out there. So getting the pickup mounts level and all really took some effort. He did a pretty snazzy job overall, I must say, and was certainly worth it.

• 1 year later...

Actually if anyone is interested.......I am selling my LPB standard VSB.

I bought it last year, new old stock. I am the only owner. Vintage sunburst, like the one in this post. I will throw some pics up of it here in a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived