Gibson Brands Forums

"the Maidenburst"

truetone6

It's a beautiful LP but I can't see a signature model for Dave Murray because, as you say, he's so very much associated with the Fender Strat.

Google image search for "Dave Murray":

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=599&q=dave+murray&oq=dave+murray&gs_l=img.3..0l10.2608.4966.0.5863.11.9.0.2.2.0.129.946.4j5.9.0.pchatae..0.0...1c.1.JCja5ri-XcM

I wonder if it's simply a borrowed guitar used for the photo shoot.

I'm not a great fan of Quilt-tops, TBH, but if that's what he made his name playing then Why Not? It would make a change to have a re-issue of a Late-period Norlin rather than all those '58-'60 'Bursts!

FWIW, I knew practically nothing about Iron Maiden until I watched the 'Flight 666' documentary last year. What a fantastic bunch of guys!

I was left with the greatest respect for them; both as people and musicians.

Anyone unfamiliar with the group could do a lot worse than check out the program - it's bound to be available somewhere on the net.

P.

FWIW, I knew practically nothing about Iron Maiden until I watched the 'Flight 666' documentary last year. What a fantastic bunch of guys!

Anyone unfamiliar with the group could do a lot worse than check out the program - it's bound to be available somewhere on the net.

P.

Hi Pippy,

Have you also seen the documentary below? If not, I'd definitely recommend it- The Number of the Beast truly is a classic album and the story behind it its making is an entertaining watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZPGQkrUHU4

<snip>

That's a great documentary. You should check out Behind the Beast from En Vivo! as well. It's a different tour, with a larger plane, and even more of what you saw in 666.

I think the thing that is really surprising is how absolutely HUGE the band really is EVERYWHERE, yet in the States, they're "dinosaurs" to the hacks that run the music racket here. Not to their fans, though. They sell out every damn place they play, and very quickly. The fact that they still release really killer albums and undertake gigantic tours are a testament to their legacy, their integrity, and their longitivity. This is all after 35+(!) years together in various incarnations.

Adrian Smith is a big influence on my own playing. Dave Murray is also great (especially his legato work... stellar!), but there's something about WHAT Adrian plays that just hit a... um... chord with me...

Here's Adrian "saluting" my completely rebuilt Epi while ripping the solo to The Evil That Men Do:

lpupgrade2.jpg

Interesting why these guys never got the recognition as guitar virtuosos. Dave, Adrian, and Janick are all great players, who not only shred like very few can, but they do it with style and accuracy.

They are also outstanding composers. The songs are well-thought, with brilliant melodies, interesting harmonies and tons of energy. Bruce is one the best metal vocalists, who - probably - could even sing classical opuses with His skills.

Great band. They put honest work into everything they do. I can't even mention any lean periods of the band (even the Blaze Bailey albums were great)...

...I remember, like ten years ago, they came to Budapest. The place - where the concert was held - was way too small for a band with such a big following. Not all could fit in, and the place was so crowded that noone could even move. Seeing the circumstances, during the show Bruce announced that they will come back very soon to give another concert in a more suitable place. They did come back within a few months as they promised. That says all about them!

Cheers... Bence

By the way: the Les Paul above looks exactly like the one that was bought by Steve Clark for Phil Collen. A Norlin with a strange TRC. There was a documentary somewhere on the Youtube where Phil shows the guitar. I'll try to find it. It's kind of a limited edition LP...

Archived