Gibson Brands Forums

Giving an Old Kay a Gibson look

Dave F

I've been pondering fixing up or having fixed up the first guitar my Mom bought in the early 60's with Top Value stamps.

It's the main one along with an electric from Checkers I got for Christmas a couple years later in '64 that I did my learnin'.

Remember, I was only about 10 years old so I was watching Ernest Tubb and Porter Wagoner on TV and the names on the fret boards really impressed me.

Unfortunately, I didn't put the Chet style markers back in the proper position when I did my custom paint job.

From what I remember. the fretboard had painted black squares trying to emulate the 40's Gibson Century of Progress pictured below.

I know this Kay guitar is at the best worth $50, but I'm doing this for sentimental purposes.

I'd like to get it where I love to play it.

Here's my idea -

- Take off the bolt on neck, mill off the fretboard, put on a curly maple fret board with black inlay markers, add a bone nut

- Put some decent tuners on the head

- Put a bone saddle in the bridge

The scale length measures about 24.5" but with the movable bridge I can stay at a standard length.

I'd like someone else to do the neck work (fretboard and nut) and I'll come up with the tuners and saddle.

I'd like to do it all, but I know how I am and I'll never get to it.

Any suggestions on where to get the neck done or any other ideas? I really don't want to pretty up rest of the guitar.

IMG_0019-1.jpg

1940turnofcenturygibsonfertboard.jpg

Believe or not those Kays with the cheesy stenciled on pickguards are have a bit of a resurgence in popularity. Might just be us geezers longing for something from our past but folks are snapping them up.

If it were me, I would just go on eBay and buy me one of those guitars or a simlar 1960s Kay with a good straight neck and swap yours out for it. You could just slap it on yourself but you might end up needing to take it to a repair guy to have it properly set.

If you really want to use the neck that is on your guitar you could always just lightly sand the paint off, maybe restain it and apply some stencil design for the position markers, then use something to seal it.

This kind of look.

SupertoneS210007.jpg

Believe or not those Kays with the cheesy stenciled on pickguards are have a bit of a resurgence in popularity. Might just be us geezers longing for something from our past but folks are snapping them up.

If it were me, I would just go on eBay and buy me one of those guitars or a simlar 1960s Kay with a good straight neck and swap yours out for it. You could just slap it on yourself but you might end up needing to take it to a repair guy to have it properly set.

If you really want to use the neck that is on your guitar you could always just lightly sand the paint off, maybe restain it and apply some stencil design for the position markers, then use something to seal it.

This kind of look.

SupertoneS210007.jpg

Thanks,

I'll think about getting a new neck, even if I go with the upgrades.

I've got one of these little blighters...mine has the opposite neck decoration..ie dark stain fretboard with white paint markers...i like the boxy sound it makes....looks as though you did some serious flamenco flailing on yours to wear away the note stencil!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxrPfztKKQ

Nice job! I did play the hell out of this guitar for a few years.

The fretboard and frets were sanded down a few times to get rid of the grooves.

• 1 month later...

Archived