Gibson Brands Forums

Volume issue with my ES-339

markm

I had a very strange issue with my ES-339 last night;

The volume would jump really loud, then come back down. It did this a few times.

I was thinking it was the amp, but could not replicate this issue with my other guitars.

Anyone ever herd of this happening?

Should I exchange this guitar?

I have only had it for 29 days! I have one more day to exchange if needed.

Thank you

have you tried "troubleshooting" it? wiggling/tapping p'ups, pots,input jack, 3-way...

my Flying V did that for a while, then I discovered it was SUPPOSED to be that loud but an internally misaligned volume pot was squelching the volume....an occasional pull of the knob keeps it at full volume now, eventually i'll replace that pot, but it's not really an issue now.

let us know how it all works out, and welcome to the forum !

~B4L~

you have a ground wire coming loose. it could be at the jack, or at a soldier on the back of one of the pups. open the control cavity up and take a look under the hood. good soldier connects will hold a wire very strongly. you should be able to give a little tug to see if a connect is loose. if your good at soldiering it should be a easy fix.

I had a similar problem - occasionally the switch would not work in the treble position. Drove me crazy for a few days. Finally I took off the switchplate and had to cut off one strand of pickup wire that was touching the wrong piece of metal. I don't know what happened in the tinning process but someone missed it. No big deal once I found it. No other problems since - it's been 11 months now.

Archived