Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Lennon's EJ160E pickup replacement

Andro

Hi all, I'm from Ecuador and i bought an Made in Korea Epiphone EJ160e in Ebay, but i have a problem, the pickup doesn't works, i heard a lot of noise and a very very low guitar sound. Someone told me that the better thing to do is buying a new pickup for my guitar, but i don't know which one. I heard that the EJ160e comes with a special mini humbucker, but not a quallity pickup, so a was thinking to buy a Gibson Humbucker, maybe it's a better quallity pickup, i heard a lot of p90s and p100s pickups, but i dont know a lot of pickups so i came here to ask for help in this issue, what pickup should i buy? Thanks.

I have both an EJ-160E & a Gibson j-160E Reissue (close to the real deal from the 60's). I had the EJ PUP replaced with a new Epi EJ style and also had some grounding work done under the bridge (more like my J-160 has). Sounds really good, but not like the J-160 Gibby however. Most of that is because the Reissue Gibson is ladder braced not X braced and has a "ply" wood soundboard vs. the Epi a solid spruce top. I'm pretty happy with the EJ for the $$ and with a professional setup it does play like a dream. I don't know what struggle you'd get into with a P90 install into the P100 designed EPI.

Aster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any good pick up will work for your guitar. It does not have to be a gibson or epiphone pick up. there are are many quality kinds of pick ups available today.Follow this link to Musiciansfriend to veiw the many kinds available to you. You could choose one and order it from them if you wish. Good luck. Let us know how you make out ok? Here is the link for pick ups. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?N=700008&Ns=r&Ntk=ALL&Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&Nty=1&Ntt=acoustic%20guitar%20pick%20ups

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have personal experience with this model, but I read on one (or more) of the forums that you get the best amplified sound with this guitar when using electric guitar strings, since they have a magnetic pickup (rather than an under-saddle or soundboard type pickup) and will have a muffled sound with bronze (acoustic guitar) strings.

Epiphone specs in fact call for an electric guitar string set (gauge .011-.052) for this specifice model. The previous owner may have used it as a mostly acoustic guitar and strung it up as such.

Archived