Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 - Gap between kerfed spruce and centre block

LysanderSky

Hi guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on an 09 335 fat neck in sunburst. It sound and plays nicely but there's one thing I'm curious about...

The centre block has a cut-out for the bridge pick-up, on closer inspection through the lower f-hole, the centre-block is not fully attached to the kerfed spruce edge for about 2 cm / 0,7 inch.

Is this normal or faulty craftsmanship?

Your opinion is highly appreciated!

LS

Hi there,

sorry to bump but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Maybe I'll elaborate a little more: The centre block does not seem to be full glued/fitted onto the kerfed spruce's edges for about 0,7 inch/2cm...

Is this a bad sign? Or rather normal that centre blocks are not always a 100% attached/fitted to the kerfed spruce?

Thanks,

LS

Sorry, I've got no answer for you. Just wanted to say, this subforum's traffic is on the light side, it may take a bit of time for the right member to see your thread and post an answer. Bump as you like . . . every couple days or so.

If I've understood you correctly...I think it will be ok.

I recently took some photos of the interior of my semi through the pu holes - possibly photo 3 here is what you are talking about? The centre block isn't a snug fit to the top at the edges.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/95961-going-inside/

This is not a Gibson though - it's a Shine guitar made in Korea (the factory used to make Epiphones) - it plays very well.

Regards!

Archived