Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 Reissue for AU$900. too good to be true?

jc1funk

Hmm... the one I just bought off ebay (a 2003), also has a grey lined case. So maybe it's not too good to be true... I just picked up mine for $816 USD shipped. The serial number checked out and it looked totally legit. Maybe 2013 is the year of the SG bargain?

The seller says it's a "Standard" in his description below it. I think standards have come with that pickguard in the past.

Knowing home much you Aussies have to pay for guitars though it does seem a little too good to be true.

I would say that it is indeed a '61 Reissue. Notice the full bevel on the lower horn that butts right up to the pickguard. The new 2013 Standards have been redesigned with this vintage correct shape, but an older Standard would have a shallow bevel even though some may have been fitted with the small pickguard. I think it is a good deal at that price for a 61 Reissue unless you can find a new 2013 Standard for similar money which I doubt at this point. I haven't even seen one in the stores yet.

The 61 reissues have a yellowed binding around the neck, the standards have white binding. Also, the holly inlay on the headstocks are in different spots. I can't see the headstock in the eBay pic but the binding looks white. I bet it's a standard like the description says.

Archived