Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day

iankinzel

A few days ago, my new black SG '70s Tribute Studio came in - my first Gibson, and first non-budget brand guitar (I've been on Squiers and Epiphones until now). I can't really comment on the instrument yet, though, because of an unforeseen hangup: three of the pickup height adjustment screws are severely stripped. I was upset when I first noticed this immediately upon removing the guitar from the box, but figured I'd deal with it (even though the pickups could have really stood for some downward adjustment, but whatever).

Two days later, I figured it was finally time to move the pickups down a touch (to prevent strings clacking on the covers, without increasing the action any further than I'd already done). The bridge pickup wasn't adjusting on one side, though, and I figured out that it was because of a loose washer I could hear clacking about. I take the pickup out, fix the washer issue, and lo and behold: the screws are so stripped that I can't get the pickup back in now!

Because the pickups are some special minihumbucker design (similar to, but different from Firebird pickups), I haven't been able to find replacement screws at any local stores, either. Nothing at Guitar Center, nothing at Ace Hardware, nothing at Home Depot. I called Gibson customer service and they're supposed to send replacements for me.

I've really soured on this purchase so far, given that on this first week, I've had to spend more time either repairing this guitar or having it out of commission than I've been able to spend actually playing it. Once the replacement screws come in, though, it might work out (provided that no other issues arise once I'm finally able to play the thing...). Yeah, it's a fixable problem and it's hardly the end of the world, but it's frustrating because it's supposed to be my first "good" guitar, and there's no excuse on the part of the retailer and manufacturer to let this detail slide. (I'd love to have had the option to purchase in person to check for such details myself, but the nearest shop with decent equipment is about a three hour round trip away).

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated on how this goes. No doubt my mood and my attitude towards the new guitar will improve once this problem has been fixed. At that point, I might even throw in a few pictures!

Welcome to my world. the last two Gibson's I bought , both of them 2011s have had issues. it might be time for Gibson to take a look at the inspection process or who ever is responsible for it. I have always told my kids when you buy a Gibson you buy a quality guitar but that's just not true anymore. I have one that wouldn't adjust down to .012 neck relief and now it is a beautiful piece but you wouldn't want to play it. Granted I would of been in better shape if I could have selected mine from the floor too but that would be quite a drive for me too.

A few days ago, my new black SG '70s Tribute Studio came in - my first Gibson, and first non-budget brand guitar (I've been on Squiers and Epiphones until now). I can't really comment on the instrument yet, though, because of an unforeseen hangup: three of the pickup height adjustment screws are severely stripped. I was upset when I first noticed this immediately upon removing the guitar from the box, but figured I'd deal with it (even though the pickups could have really stood for some downward adjustment, but whatever).

Two days later, I figured it was finally time to move the pickups down a touch (to prevent strings clacking on the covers, without increasing the action any further than I'd already done). The bridge pickup wasn't adjusting on one side, though, and I figured out that it was because of a loose washer I could hear clacking about. I take the pickup out, fix the washer issue, and lo and behold: the screws are so stripped that I can't get the pickup back in now!

Because the pickups are some special minihumbucker design (similar to, but different from Firebird pickups), I haven't been able to find replacement screws at any local stores, either. Nothing at Guitar Center, nothing at Ace Hardware, nothing at Home Depot. I called Gibson customer service and they're supposed to send replacements for me.

I've really soured on this purchase so far, given that on this first week, I've had to spend more time either repairing this guitar or having it out of commission than I've been able to spend actually playing it. Once the replacement screws come in, though, it might work out (provided that no other issues arise once I'm finally able to play the thing...). Yeah, it's a fixable problem and it's hardly the end of the world, but it's frustrating because it's supposed to be my first "good" guitar, and there's no excuse on the part of the retailer and manufacturer to let this detail slide. (I'd love to have had the option to purchase in person to check for such details myself, but the nearest shop with decent equipment is about a three hour round trip away).

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated on how this goes. No doubt my mood and my attitude towards the new guitar will improve once this problem has been fixed. At that point, I might even throw in a few pictures!

If you bought this online from GC, MF, SA, SW, ect... they all will take it back and send you another new one. That's what I would do return it ASAP!

So, you were able to remove the "already" stripped screws after raising your action, but you can't put the screws back in because they were "already" stripped? I'm not convinced that this is a Gibson problem.

I was thinking this, but bit my tongue.

There will always be One or two that slip through the QC cracks(AKA the proverbial Friday/Monday QC issues)

BUT as it has been said, ALL these retailers will happily exchange the instrument if you are not happy with it.

I understand it is hard for a lot of members here to get to places due to travel restrictions/distance, and the wait time can be excruciating on ones psyche.

It is the price we pay for wanting American built quality.

The push for a cheaper Gibson is also going to put more of these issues out to public because we are pushing them to build more/faster/cheaper.

Want a cheap Gibson family product go buy an Epiphone, or buy used.

if not, quit your whining, save your pennies and actually PAY for what you want.

A QUALITY MADE PROPERLY QC'D GIBSON.

There is a reason they are not Cheap in price. or quality.

Archived