Gibson Brands Forums

ALL Wound Guitar Strings?

rossington88

Hey, all.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any string company that currently manufactures strings that are all wound (By which, I mean, every string in the package is wound and not just the E, A & D [And, in my case, the G as well]). The theory behind it would be a more harmonically rich tone that is all balanced (Similar to fine instruments like a Violin or Cello). For example: I use two amplifiers to gain balance and greater bandwidth; I use all of the same type of cables to gain balance. I even had a zero fret installed on my LP during it's refret so that the open strings would have the same sound as the fretted notes. In any case, I like to have balanced sounding gear. My tone definitely gets compliments whenever I jam with a band so I would say that I have accomplished my goal for the most part. I do feel like this would be the final piece of the puzzle. I use a TON of mid-range to balance out my bright amps so the drop-off on the high-end wouldn't be a big deal to compensate for. I also use 12's on my electrics and throw them around like they're nothing (Rotosound Roto Purple 12's, baby!!) so a heavy gauge isn't a big deal for me. Can anyone shed some light on this bizarre topic?

Regards,

Bobby

Savarez has some sets with wound B, and maybe wound E, but those intended for nylon string instruments, it's the only one I know of.

go to www.juststrings.com and see what you can find.. it's possible you could find some way to get a custom set.

If you want the set to feel like a "standard" set of strings there's is a lot of mathematical calculations to be done such as individual string tension and total tension on the neck. The D'Addarrio website has a nice set of charts on string tensions at various types, sizes and tunings, so you don't really have to do ALL the calculations yourself.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

The problem is going to be finding wound strings small enough for use as the high E & B strings which will feel anything like a plain string AND maintain proper tension on the neck (the smallest I've seen are .017). One thing to remember is that on a wound string the windings are basically "inert" as it relates to tension, meaning that the "core" size of a wound string is what gives it it's tension and the advertised "wound" diameter is meaningless.

Of course, you'll have to have the nut re-slotted, and maybe the bridge saddles, but it sounds like an interesting idea. This is the kind of experiment that I would go out and buy a cheap pawnshop guitar to experiment on.

Thanks for the responses. I'm finding that .10 gauge wound strings are actually being made... For violins. They're not being marketed towards guitarsists and such but the foundation for such a product is there. Thanks again for the responses.

I have a possible solution to achieve better balance. Back in the day, you had 2 basic choices for guitar strings. Acoustic strings and "flat wire" wound strings for electric guitars. I've been trying to find out if the flat wire wound strings are still available, but nobody seems to know anything about them. They were best suited for someone (like myself) who doesn't play enough to keep calluses on my fingertips, and they virtually eliminated the "squeek" one hears when you slide your fingers along the wound strings. [cursing]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [thumbup]

I've been trying to find out if the flat wire wound strings are still available, but nobody seems to know anything about them.

Try checking out the D'Addario "Chromes" line of flatwound strings.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=3&productname=XL_Chromes_Flat_Wound

Flatwound strings are generally marketed toward the jazzers, and there are also a few "boutique" string makers selling them. I use LaBella flatwound strings on my archtops.

http://www.labella.com/category/products/electric/flat-wounds-electric/

They do not. The most they do is a B - But even then it is hard to find.

If you want to mute the tone use coated strings. If you want to brighten it use chrome. If you want to kill it try finding a wound E string. If it had any benefits at all trust me someone would be making it and it would not be hard to find.

Archived