Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Authentic Series

JuanCarlosVejar

In the video he mentions the lightness the guitar..and the one man at the bench making it..this is an important but subtile thing that the common do not really give any value to.

In my limited experience it results in a better instrument.

Some of those Authentics are reasonably priced but Id wonder how Authentic they really are.

The fat handcarved neck,Tbar,thinness of top,hand braced with attention to response..?

Some of those Authentics are reasonably priced but Id wonder how Authentic they really are.

The fat handcarved neck,Tbar,thinness of top,hand braced with attention to response..?

Who really knows? All you can do is look at the specs, inspect the instrument, and see what it sounds like.

You raise an interesting point about a guitar that you might have owned many years that has now increased in value, and how you would treat it. I paid about 50 bucks for my 1948 J-45 back in 1966, but I put about $2,000 in it during a "rejuvenation" a couple of years ago, marking its 63rd birthday and my 45th year of owning it. Needless to say, I don't treat it like a $50 guitar any more, although I certainly once did.

Chris Thile gigs with a Loar mandolin.

Players love using the best stuff they can find, not all of them are "collectors".

Correct that to "best stuff they can afford", I think. Fortunately, professional musicians can write off the cost of their instruments, which can be a substantial savings depending on your income bracket. I write off all my computers and tools, but somehow, it isn't as much fun as being able to write of my guitars would be.....

Who really knows? All you can do is look at the specs, inspect the instrument, and see what it sounds like.

You raise an interesting point about a guitar that you might have owned many years that has now increased in value, and how you would treat it. I paid about 50 bucks for my 1948 J-45 back in 1966, but I put about $2,000 in it during a "rejuvenation" a couple of years ago, marking its 63rd birthday and my 45th year of owning it. Needless to say, I don't treat it like a $50 guitar any more, although I certainly once did.

When I got my 57 Les Paul Junior in 1978 I was still a barbarian and at the begining I would bang my tuning fork..a fat heavy duty Caveman tuning fork, right on to the guitar face..Soon I looked at it and realized ,wait a minute...

I believe that is when my brain first turned on...starting with that LP Jr.

When I got my 57 Les Paul Junior in 1978 I was still a barbarian and at the begining I would bang my tuning fork..a fat heavy duty Caveman tuning fork, right on to the guitar face..Soon I looked at it and realized ,wait a minute...

I believe that is when my brain first turned on...starting with that LP Jr.

Now here's a difference between you and me: you banged your tuning fork on the top of your guitar, and I used to bang my tuning fork on the top of my head.

Who's the barbarian here? I put more value on my guitar than on my head......

And, yes, it hurts when you do that.

Archived