Gibson Brands Forums

Filtertron pickup for a Epiphone les paul standard ?

EvoRider

I would like to install a filtertron pickup in my bridge position in my les paul. Is this possible without cutting up my guitar? I am wanting the Malcolm young sound without buying a gretch guitar. i really like my Les paul.. I have tried seymour duncans i heave the pro humbuckers in neck and bridge but i would really like to try out the filtertron. any body know what i would have to do? Thanks Roy

Isn't Malcolm's guitar a semi-hollow body? It doesn't hurt to try it but you may not get the result you are expecting in a solid body guitar.

+1 to the TV Jones TV Classics with English mount. Those are top of the line filtertrons but very expensive. If you want to spend less try the GFS Retrotrons. They are much cheaper but still decent and will fit in a normal humbucker cavity.

My own preference is for low-gain "vintage" style pickups. I feel that hotter pickups sacrifice tone and musicality for higher gain. If you need to feed the amp a hotter signal, a low-gain pickup can always be plugged into a clean boost pedal.

It's up to you though. As a rule, more windings lower the pickup's resonant frequency making it warmer and fatter. If the guitar and amp were both bright you probably wouldn't want to pick one of the brighter options but since you've got a darker Les Paul my best guess would be the classic / classic plus.

I have read that Malcolm's Gretsch had a stock filtertron, so the equivalent would be a TV Classic (as opposed to Classic Plus, Supertron, etc). If the title of that video is accurate, then he is using the TV Classic. You can also call or email TV Jones and get a recommendation.

I think a big part of the crunch and snarl in that video is the Marshall JCM 800 style tube amp he is using.

You could also have a look at the swing o pickups from The creamery in Manchester UK . They are Hand made humbucker sized filtertrons and will go straight into a les paul. They are quite cheap as well and jaime who owns it will advise you on the best options. I'm sure he can and does send them around the world.

Bluscuba beat me to it! the Creamery stuff is excellent - I came really close to ordering the Swing-O for a Sheraton but eventually went with his Wide Range pickups. They're due anytime now so will be reporting on them once I've had a chance to put them through their paces.

Archived