Gibson Brands Forums

Beautiful Hawiian Gibson

JuanCarlosVejar

Nice. Looks like an HG-24 with everything thrown in. I had an HG-22 for a while. The HG 20'somethings have a second inner set of rims.

Strange but interesting tone. I brought my HG-22 to a guitar workshop and let Andy Cohen play it. He played it so hard that it sounded great.

I played this guy for about an hour last weekend. I have an HG-22 and love it, so I really wanted to love its bigger, blingier brother too ... But I just couldn't. It's gorgeous. However, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get decent tone out of it. It sounds absolutely nothing like any small maple HG I've ever heard, maybe because it was built a few years later and suffers from much heavier construction. Still, I'm betting that some collector is going to be very happy with it.

-- Bob R

I played this guy for about an hour last weekend. I have an HG-22 and love it, so I really wanted to love its bigger, blingier brother too ... But I just couldn't. It's gorgeous. However, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get decent tone out of it. It sounds absolutely nothing like any small maple HG I've ever heard, maybe because it was built a few years later and suffers from much heavier construction. Still, I'm betting that some collector is going to be very happy with it.

-- Bob R

Bob ,

I wish they would do reissue's of these !

JC

-- Bob R

Glad to read your review. I remembered you had an when I was looking through my numbers HG-22. These have come up recently on the UMGF including this guitar. A member posted a clip of his playing. Like most people I had never heard one, but always have been interested in them.

Was this beauty heavy? I may need to be played Hawaiian with a high nut and picks. This guitar FON puts it in 1932 along with most all these early HGs. It is quite a deluxe model.

Terry

Was this beauty heavy? I may need to be played Hawaiian with a high nut and picks. This guitar FON puts it in 1932 along with most all these early HGs. It is quite a deluxe model.

It was quite heavy. It came with both the original nut extender and a more modern one that fit more stably, so Hawaiian style would be an option. Maybe a good one, since the utter lack of bass wouln't be much of an issue then. I did go at it pretty hard with heavy Golden Gate thumb pick and metal finger picks, which produced a pretty bright, zingy tone. Made me think it might be usable for fingerpicking with nickel strings. But, then again, maybe not.

Thanks for mentioning the date. Richard told me it was a '34, and I didn't bother checking the FON.

The basic idea of having a maple HG-24 appointed like Jimmie Rodger's HG-22 -- except for having a butterfly rather than a flower -- is just so cool! If money were no object ... But it always is!

-- Bob R

Archived