Gibson Brands Forums

Now that's more like it

Riffster

My Jeff Waters V came with Custom Gibson USA pickups, the JWR and JWT. The bridge has a ceramic 8 magnet that produces crystal clear highs even when the amp is fairly cranked. The neck pickup has alnico II magnets for a more traditional sound.

The issue for me was that the bridge pickup did not have enough gain, looking at the Epiphone catalog it lists this pickup as having 13+Kohms DC but it did not sound like that to me.

Then I read reviews from other players noticing more of a PAF gain on this pickup and it seems like Jeff Waters prefers the gain to come from the amp and that's why the pickup has these specs.

I pulled out the pickup and sure enough, PAF gain range:

69A4F27D-F09D-4034-AE84-D2C0D95F2D05-4642-000005E4BE70B0BE_zps3de19033.jpg

Soooo I ran across a Duncan Distortion for cheap and decided to swap, now I get the sound I want without having to look for a clear boost pedal. Nice humbucker when paired with my Marshall JCM1, it has that tight classic distortion sound.

ACD38DC2-7248-4041-986C-AB860106C8A3-4642-000005E4BBDA436E_zps74e89bcf.jpg

19FA9B31-56D1-4BD3-9B8A-968FF8AD0801-4642-000005E4C161A832_zpseaee19a8.jpg

Ha, I have 5 years and 6,000+ posts in the Gibson forums and you are sending me to the Epi forum? I do not know anybody there so I'll pass.

There is an underlying good reason not to post this here and that is how slow this forum is and how is not even worth taking the time to post.

Ha, I have 5 years and 6,000+ posts in the Gibson forums and you are sending me to the Epi forum? I do not know anybody there so I'll pass.

There is an underlying good reason not to post this here and that is how slow this forum is and how is not even worth taking the time to post.

Maybe, or maybe the reason is because your post is about an Epiphone model.

Maybe you'd get quicker results at that forum where you're more likely to have people with similar gear see your post and respond.

Maybe actually get to know someone there too.

Or post here, where it's about pickups no matter what brand they're in.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/46-gibson-gear/

6,000 posts?

Sounds like this slow forum didn't slow you down too much.

I was referring to this particular subforum, but hey if it makes you happy to make silly remarks go for it. The real reason I posted it here is because of the Duncan Distortion as a good option on V or Explorers. There was a thread on the 500t recently and I did not see anybody saying it should be posted on another section.

But yea, I do realize my post was not really all that relevant to this section of the forum.

Not meant to be silly at all.

That's how some get to know others.

And really just to make sure you were posting where more responses might happen, and so people who expect Gibson don't get Epiphone.

It's Epiphone related, but hard to tell from the title.

Plus initially you mentioned the Epiphone catalog, etc. and your frustration with the response time after that.

Rock On.

Hey Riffster!

Nice Guitar, I love the red finish [thumbup]

Just one question: what is the killswitch you mentioned before? Never heard about it.

PS: A nice Duncan pickup that not many people seem to know is the Custom Custom. It's a quite cool Alnico 2 hot pickup. Have you ever heard about it? If not give it a try if you have the occasion ;)

Francesco

Thanks, the killswitch is used to kill the signal to the guitar to create a sort of tremolo effect, it's cool but did not find it useable long term.

See this video at 1:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeJec2DjBeI

I already replaced it with a tone control.

I did see the Custom Custom when I was researching pickups but the Duncan Distortion came up for sale for half price, I am loving this pickup. Nice tight and plenty of power without being overkill.

The guitar looks like this now, I added new knobs too.

B53178D6-D4AC-433C-B386-1C86EC4810A8-8902-00000B52BD81CADE_zps94a15664.jpg

Archived