Gibson Brands Forums

Who makes your fave import electric?

heymisterk

My 1979 Ibanez ST300. Nice playing and cool. Active or passive pick ups. A real good guitar. Not sure if it is my favorite import but it is the only one I have at the moment. Tim

I remember a friend buying one new and within our circle it was known as "Marmite" because you either loved it, or hated it.... It was very different in some unexplainable way that just couldn't be ignored.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Korean Schecter Solo 6 that is amazing ( to me anyway ). It's the best "out of the box" set up guitar I've ever bought. Neck is fabulous on it. For the money it's considerably more than I expected. Good sustain, fat rich tones and snarling treble when wanted. It and the 70's Tribute LP are my "go to" guitars.

When I was in the process of checking out the AC-15 amp that I eventually bought just before Christmas,the salesman of the music store plugged in a MIC Squier Tele with "Duncan Designed" pups.He played some Ry Cooder style riffs with the reverb turned up on about 4 and a medium spped and intensity tremolo,it was one of the best sounding Teles that I had ever heard-just unbelievably full without any of the icepick sharp treble that is usually attributed to a Tele.He was using mainly the neck pup and had the tone rolled off a bit which helped quell the treble but the guitar sounded so incredible I really considered going over my budget and springing for the relatively pawltry $279 they wanted for it but I figured that I'd cause the marital equivalent of the Apocalypse if I had done that. I do hope that by the end of this year I'll be able to save enough to buy one of these "Duncan" Teles or possibly just get Strat number 6 with the Duncans.

I think one of the problems with any brand of guitar is that there were periods in which the brand/plant may have been pretty good and periods in which it was ... not so good.

The CBS Fender and Norlin Gibson eras have been questioned as well as a time or two for the Martin company.

Right now I think the Epiphone, Gretsch and Eastman offerings from China are about as good as one might expect in terms of "value." There may be others, but those are the ones I have experienced. Japanese brands from the mid-late 1970s tended to be exceptional, and then later just... generally a value for dollar.

Too, as long as guitars are made of wood, there will be times, I think, when there will be difficulties.

m

Archived