Gibson Brands Forums

Who makes your fave import electric?

heymisterk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Squier 51 made in Indonesia in 2005 that is a great guitar, I replaced the pickups but the neck has a great profile.

The Epiphone Jeff Waters V that I just bought is a 2010 and apparently made in Korea at the Unsung Plant, I thought all Epis were made in China now.

Both have great quality for the price.

I only have 3 "import" guitars, nowadays. Traded all the other's on Gibson's.

One is a "hybrid" (Japanese and American)...my Epi AIUSA Sheraton. Another is my

MIM '60's (white) Telecaster. And, the third on is my Gretsch Duo-Jet 6128 TSP.

All, are outstanding! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0242-1.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

CB

Sweet guitars, CB! Is the Gretsch MIJ?

My Epiphone EL-00 and my Reverend Daredevil are both made in Korea. I love 'em. My '72 Telecaster Deluxe reissue is made in Mexico. This week I've got another NGD coming up. It's an import too. Pics & NGD thread coming later in the week!

I would have to say Japanese Fenders, particularly Fujigen. Those would be "Made in" as opposed to "Crafted in". Not that I have anything against, just limited experience with them. My limeted experience tells me they are just as good.

I explain it like this: even though my true affinity is for the American made icons, with Fender in particular, the 70's and 80's, even though technically the same company, were NOT the same company and not the same guitars. So, to me, a "copy" made by others is no more or less genuine than one that was made by "fender".

So, what matters most is reverence to the origonals, and the Japanese had such reverence and pride that they actually were able to craft real copies that were very much like the origonal American made ones. The fact a Japanese man or men could do such so far removed from America only serves to increase my respect.

I would also add that for the old "American" icons, there IS a differences between Gibson and Fender. The corners cut and the overall craftmanship the Japanese have put into it is more like Fender, and not the same as a Gibson. So while I feel Gibson copies of Gibby's are of equal quality of Fender copies, they aren't really like Gibson.

Having said that, the IBANEZ that came out of Japan in the 80's were amazing instruments, combining elements of each, but making their own creation.

So, what matters most is reverence to the origonals, and the Japanese had such reverence and pride that they actually were able to craft real copies that were very much like the origonal American made ones. The fact a Japanese man or men could do such so far removed from America only serves to increase my respect.

There absolutely must be something to this: I have priced used MIJ Fender Teles, and man, are they expensive. Often times they are just as expensive as the USA ones, especially ones made during the 80s and 90s. The reason - at least from what I have read - is that they are outstanding instruments.

I'd have to say Gibson in first place followed by Fender.

P.

Ah the good ole UK,, where "import" guitar isn't a bad thing..

And as Canadian,, I suppose I can make the same claim and will

ditto exactly what you said Pippy...

lol,, sweet.

[thumbup]

But if we're not talking the US guitars I would have to go with my old Hamer Slammer Korean,, it's a damn decent guitar. Not as good as the one I have made in the US but it was half the price and it's real solid.

And I really really like my Indonesian Squire. Cheapest guitar I ever bought and it gets alot of attention.

The crappy electronics make some pup positions useless so I'm looking at changing them out but it plays real nice.

Sweet guitars, CB! Is the Gretsch MIJ?

Thanks, heymisterk...

Yes, it was produced after the Fender takeover, and was the precursor,

to the "George Harrison" model. It's one of the very few Gretsch models

(outside of the Custom Shop) that has the vintage style "squared off" G in

the Gretsch headstock logo.

DSC_1115_zps530cab9d.jpg

Most current "G's" are rounded.

CB

There absolutely must be something to this: I have priced used MIJ Fender Teles, and man, are they expensive. Often times they are just as expensive as the USA ones, especially ones made during the 80s and 90s. The reason - at least from what I have read - is that they are outstanding instruments.

Oh yea. I am guessing the ones you have seen or are looking for are the higher end ones. I think overall, these are worth more money than Strats.

I don't remember many "average" made in Japan Tele's from that period, or many Teles at all for that matter. I think it's a combo that Tele's weren't that popular, and if they DID make them, they were usually a more special version. Like the "Custom Telecaster" or the Bigsby one.

I also remember reading, that the American versions started out to be horrendous, and they didn't really get it right as soon as they were able with the Strats. So, there was more of a delay there in American Tele's behind the Jap versions than there was with the Strats. I think this is the main reason why so many "high end" Tele's from Japan in comparism to Strats.

So, basically, I think the main reason there are more Japanese Tele's now from that time you mention is because there really is no American counters or alternatives, and also why they are generally more than the typical Strat's as well. Still rare in that, if you want, say, a Tele Custom, of a certain quality level, a Japanese one IS the only choice.

I only have 3 "import" guitars, nowadays. Traded all the other's on Gibson's.

One is a "hybrid" (Japanese and American)...my Epi AIUSA Sheraton. Another is my

MIM '60's (white) Telecaster. And, the third one is my Gretsch Duo-Jet 6128 TSP.

All, are outstanding! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0242-1.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

CB

CB, you have some fine taste, and similer to mine as well.

I remember well when I was actively shopping for a 335, and playing and considering that very model of Sheri. Oddly, for me, I couldn't get on with the mini's, and I say odd because of really like them, just generally as a pup. But at the time, I didn't think I wanted them in a "335". Other than that, I very much liked the guitar and would have bought it.

Same kinda thing- ended up actually buying a Scofield Ibanez, which played and felt a lot like it, maybe even the same neck shape. And this was while I was shopping mainly for a 335.

I ALSO remember when the Mexican Tele's were coming around, and was actively looking specifically for a white one (or actually blonde, which at the time was a white shade) with a maple neck that I wanted to make an Esquire out of. I just happened to not find the exact one with the light wieght I wanted, but I was close enough that had I found it, I would have bought it.

And...if it matters, I was ALSO shopping and playing the Japanese Gretchs' when I came across them...not really thinking I had to have one, but if one came before me, I played it and evaluated it whith the possibility. As it was then, vintage Gretches weren't that much more money, and for a player, weren't actually any better and usually not as good. Hit and miss for both for sure.

Thanks, Stein...I always like to see your's, and everyone else's guitars, as well.

The MIM '60's Classic Telecaster (in fact that whole series) is...IMHO, a cut

above even the normally decent MIM Tele's and Strats! Mine really felt

the same, as the USA Classic collection, only without the "Nitro" finish.

And, the price, from my dealer, was Great = a "no brainer!"

The "mini-humbuckers" on the Sheraton, were a "must have" for me...as the originals

were equipped that way, and I loved Them! So, when these (and the Elitist) versions

came out, I was "stoked!" The AIUSA version, has the correct Vintage (Kalamazoo era)

headstock shape, as well. So that was my "baby!" MF was "blowing them out," at a

really good price, sevaral years ago, and my only regret, now...is that I didn't by 2...

one in natural, with a frequensator tailpiece. But.."C'est la Vie!" [razz]

And, as to the Gretsch...I waited, to see if Fender would reintroduce them, with more

accurate "Vintage" spec's...and, that's exactly what they did. Especially, on the

Duo-Jets. The "Pre-Fender" versions, had unusual (for Gretsch) back cavities, and

cover plates. And, the "narrow version" headstock was wider at the neck, than at the top,

whereas the USA Vintage, and Post-Fender repro's are like mine. Doesn't effect the tone

of playability, obviously, but I like that kind of attention to detail...you know?! [wink][thumbup]

Cheers,

CB

Thanks, Stein...I always like to see your's, and everyone else's guitars, as well.

The MIM '60's Classic Telecaster (in fact that whole series) is...IMHO, a cut

above even the normally decent MIM Tele's and Strats! Mine really felt

the same, as the USA Classic collection, only without the "Nitro" finish.

And, the price, from my dealer, was Great = a "no brainer!"

Cheers,

CB

There's a good reason for that: they are actually almost exactly the same guitars. I don't mean made alike, I mean made from the same stock and same tooling, and in a lot of cases, there is a lot of cross-pollenation between the American and Mexican, as in shipping the same parts between locations.

As for the finishes, the Fender "nitro" from the past is different than the Gibson "nitro", and with fender, especially concerning custom colors (that's anything but sunburst really), the colored guitars didn't always recieve nitro, or was a formulation that acted and behave more like the "poly' types used today. Just as an example, even the "nitro" based auto finishes used back then were not the same as a clear or sunburst like the typical Gibby finish. They would be more thick and plasticy, or more more hard and brittle, depending on type and color. So, a poly or acrylic modern Fender isn't as different to an old one as say, a Gibby and an Epi.

I only have one import electric. I just bought it a few weeks ago. It's an Epiphone Nighthawk custom Reissue. It was made in Indonesia. I wanted something inexpensive to just leave out on a stand. I always put my Gibsons back in their cases after playing them.

photobucket-107869-1359938431693.jpg

photobucket-278135-1359938804271.jpg

I guess if you consider that the electric guitar's home is the USA and that any electric guitars made elsewhere are therefore, essentially, copies then the term "import" is fine.

Here are my non-USA guits:

Ibanez RG 1570, 2008, J-Craft Japan

My MIJ Ibanez is certainly the best crafted of any of my guitars including the USA ones. It really is beautifully made so I would have to say Ibanez, Japan in answer to the OP's question.

DSC02728.jpg

Epiphone Wildkat, 2006, MIK

My Korean-made Epi Wildkat is, again, very nicely put together but the hardware and components are obviously more import level. The fingerboard on this guitar is a beautiful piece of rosewood and the action and feel of the neck with this guitar is simply stunning.

DSC01801.jpg

Yamaha SE350, 1986, MIT (Taiwan)

You don't often see Taiwanese made guitars and they could be frowned upon but I have to say that my Yamaha SE350 is my best playing guitar- built like a tank, neck to die for and quality/build right up there. I've had it since '87 and will never sell it. I guess Yamaha's Taiwan factory was pretty good.

DSC01795.jpg

I have two:

Korean-made Epiphone DOT

MIM Tele

I used to have a Korean-made PRS-SE.

So far, I think the PRS-SE was the best, but the MIM Tele is pretty awesome too. I think both are great values; both are impeccably made.

How about you?

The Burns guitars are quite interesting, made in the UK, all the bells and whistles. The scroll headstock on some models is interesting.

wow...tough question

I have fave imports in more than 1 category

Gibby "styled" solid-body is my Agile LP

GarysCam115.jpg

close runner up is Epi '61 RI LPC SG

Fender "type" is my Mexi-Tele

GarysCam192.jpg

(Semi) Hollowbody Epi Sheraton II

GarysCam066.jpg

hopefully to soon be overtaken by a 50th Ann. Sheraton i've deposited on.

Hollowbody is my "odd bird" DeArmond by Guild X-155 Jazzbox

GarysCam270.jpg

not being wealthy, most of my geets are imports....but that doesn't mean they're not great guitars.

Archived