Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered Les Paul models

Gibson Mad Mike

Hello Mike!

Most likely it's traditionally relieved. It all started back in 1982. Completely solid ones are the Historics. 10.5 is a pretty heavy one - but as Others said, "weight-relieving" isn't necessarily weight-relieving. [biggrin]

It's definitely not chambered - if that's the fact what is really important for You.

Cheers... Bence

Just this morning I went to the fella's house to do the swap and walked away with my strat, the Les Paul guitar was a fake and not a very good one at that, I'm sure he new it was fake too (wanker).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You´re absolutely right - I´d hate to even think about changing them :P

according to what could be gathered - before Oct 2006, although there may not be a strict day to day change, both might have been produced together before non-chambered were phased out,

so to be on the safe side, the Serial No.should be less than say

"22406xxx" - 240th day being (give or take) the end of August ..

Of course, if you can look inside the control cavity (or get a pic of it) you´d be able to tell with certainty as the chamber communicates with it - I believe it always does..

I have a studio made in November '06 and i've always been under the assumption that it was the swiss cheese. When i tap around the top of the guitar it seems as if there are several holes drilled into it as opposed to the chambers.

If it was made in Nov 06 then it's almost certainly chambered.

Not that it's a foolproof indication, of course, but have you weighed it on an accurate set of scales?

Swiss-cheesed are usually around the 8 3/4 lb to 9 lb+ mark. Chambered guitars have been known to be this heavy but less commonly so.

P.

This is an example of how it doesn't always have to be an absolute choice between "Chambered or Weight-Relieved".

Guitars are tools.

Some people may find the tone and feel they're looking for with a certain type guitar and swear by it, but may have never been in a situation where it didn't sound right to them because of where they're playing.

If it's available to you, you have to pick the right tool for the situation.

For some people, the weight of the guitar and the effect it has on their body is key.

For others, it may mean switching from a chambered to a weight-relieved guitar or visa-versa, because the playing level they're limited to, or something else makes it beneficial to do so.

In this case, it's a bedroom level vs. gig level.

But sometimes depending on the venue/room acoustics, or other situations, switching guitars can make a difference.

Sounding correct to your ears is what counts.

Not what's on the truss rod cover, or what the X-Ray looks like.

Hello to one and all,

I have read with interest many of the posts on here about the chambered models, the question I have I was unable to find an answer though so I'm hoping one of you wise masters of the six string can help.

Have Gibson made any non-chambered Les Pauls in recent years?

Many thanks in advance for your input should you care to comment.

Mike

Curently I have a Alex Lifeson Les Paul in Red with Floyd Rose and I cannot ask for better. the color Red is gorgeous and she plays like Butter and can scream a lead and bring crystal cleans in a light touch of a finger.

The one I'm about to get is the 2013 Traditional but I just cannot decide on the color.

To answer about solid body, the Traditional is the only one I know of new that is (not chambered) (no weight relief) and they come in BLUE! Too many amazing colors to choose from. I need at least 3 of these colors.

Thanks.

This is an example of how it doesn't always have to be an absolute choice between "Chambered or Weight-Relieved".

Guitars are tools.

Some people may find the tone and feel they're looking for with a certain type guitar and swear by it, but may have never been in a situation where it didn't sound right to them because of where they're playing.

If it's available to you, you have to pick the right tool for the situation.

For some people, the weight of the guitar and the effect it has on their body is key.

For others, it may mean switching from a chambered to a weight-relieved guitar or visa-versa, because the playing level they're limited to, or something else makes it beneficial to do so.

In this case, it's a bedroom level vs. gig level.

But sometimes depending on the venue/room acoustics, or other situations, switching guitars can make a difference.

Sounding correct to your ears is what counts.

Not what's on the truss rod cover, or what the X-Ray looks like.

very true except if I need a more chambered sound I merely raise the mid on my Marshall tubes... If you have a bad back like I do I see the need for chambered and weight relief but still yet I am playing solid heavy LP's for the Solid Tone and Bite and Snap they give me that my chambered cannot.

I wish the chambered could as I need to go lighter on my 49 year old Judo beaten back.

Archived