Gibson Brands Forums

Least invasive tuner replacement Epi LP Jr. Special I

glennc

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade the tuners of an Epiphone LP Jr. Special I. I am trying to find tuners that require as little drilling, counterboring and hole filling that are a significant increase in quality to the originals. All opinions and advice appreciated.

Glenn

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade the tuners of an Epiphone LP Jr. Special I. I am trying to find tuners that require as little drilling, counterboring and hole filling that are a significant increase in quality to the originals. All opinions and advice appreciated.

Glenn

It's hard to guess with no pictures, if they're the green plastic button Kluson-style you can replace directly with a set of Kluson or Gibson vintage style tuners without drilling or modifying anything. But if they're the cheap metal button ones with 2 offset set screws on each one, there isn't anything that will fit directly in that will be much better than whats on there and I'd suggest going for an upgrade to something nice and solid like a set of Grovers or Schallers since you're going to have to drill/fill holes to use pretty much any other tuners on it.

Hope this helps,

Travis

It's hard to guess with no pictures, if they're the green plastic button Kluson-style you can replace directly with a set of Kluson or Gibson vintage style tuners without drilling or modifying anything. But if they're the cheap metal button ones with 2 offset set screws on each one, there isn't anything that will fit directly in that will be much better than whats on there and I'd suggest going for an upgrade to something nice and solid like a set of Grovers or Schallers since you're going to have to drill/fill holes to use pretty much any other tuners on it.

Hope this helps,

Travis

Howdy Travis,

It is the second description type. Thanks for the honest appraisal. Will worry about it when the time comes!

Glenn

I take back my statement about there not being a good direct replacement, I do believe these would fit without any modifications:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Economy_Tuners/Economy_Open_Gear_Tuners.html

Hello and thanks for the information. These definitely are inexpensive. Reviews aren't too bad, they are what they are. Absolute maybe {:-))!

Glenn

• 1 month later...

I personally would replace the trapezoid style tuners that are on the Epi LP Special with a good set of Grovers. Definately worth the investment , trust me on this one.

Howdy,

I was hoping not to spend that much money. Wonder what it would cost to have done professionally? That is more that just reaming a hole a little larger if I am not mistaken.

Glenn

1361029155[/url]' post='1329167']

Hello,

Glenn

Why do you want to upgrade the current tuners? Is there something wrong with them?

Why do you want to upgrade the current tuners? Is there something wrong with them?

Howdy,

Yes there is. After having the nut tuned and lubricated the guitar will still not stay in tune. You can see the post bending with the string pressure. The quitar will be more enjoyable in tune for longer periods!

Glenn

Howdy,

I was hoping not to spend that much money. Wonder what it would cost to have done professionally? That is more that just reaming a hole a little larger if I am not mistaken.

Glenn

I typically charge $25 for a direct tuner replacement (including a restring with fresh strings, obviously not including tuners), and $45 for non-direct since there's usually set-screw holes that need to be filled and/or drilled and some reaming that needs to be done to get everything to fit properly. If you really want it to stay in tune, I'd agree with Old Rocker 59 and go with a set of Grovers. But if you're trying to do it on the cheap then go with those stewmac ones and they'll at least be better than the ones that came stock on your guitar.

I typically charge $25 for a direct tuner replacement (including a restring with fresh strings, obviously not including tuners), and $45 for non-direct since there's usually set-screw holes that need to be filled and/or drilled and some reaming that needs to be done to get everything to fit properly. If you really want it to stay in tune, I'd agree with Old Rocker 59 and go with a set of Grovers. But if you're trying to do it on the cheap then go with those stewmac ones and they'll at least be better than the ones that came stock on your guitar.

[/quote

Thanks for the idea of a tech install. Grovers are pretty expensive + the installation to me is currently a bit too costly. I guess I will live with it and save for a while. Take care!

Glenn

Archived