Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Pickguard?

Don335

I recently purchased a beautiful ES-335 w/Bigsby and I want to buy a new pickguard. I've looked on the Gibson parts site and no pickguard for an ES-335 can be found? I've looked at some aftermarket guards and they don't look good at all? Are original replacement pickguards available from Gibson? I would like original equipment if possible,does anyone know if they are available? [confused]

Thanks

Don335

Gibson is an "assembly line" manufacturer of guitars (just like Ford and GM makes cars). The DO NOT manufacture many parts that go into a Gibson Guitar, they contract with a supplier. Gibson does not have a polymer laboratory in the back corner of the factory to make pickguards, pickup rings, tuner buttons and control knobs.

Aftermarket parts houses such as AllParts (NOT Stew-Mac), have the resources to know who those OEM parts suppliers are, and buy the same (or better) products.

I don't have any experience with this retailer, but here is the whole kit ...

ecrater.com

Search turned up a lot of retailers selling Gibson parts, but I would make sure that you got the bracket right since it is somewhat different than the LP version.

Here a black 5 ply model looks pretty much like what is on my 335.

guitarpartsresource.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a diamond dot 335 it is made without pickguard looks great but i was worried about fingernail scratchmarks so I cut apiece of computer screen protector to shape and it clings invisibly and provides the required protection and costs next to nothing! give it a try

I cut apiece of computer screen protector to shape and it clings invisibly and provides the required protection and costs next to nothing! give it a try

In the flamenco/classical guitar field this is called a "Golpeador". The aftermarket parts houses sell mylar sheets just for this purpose.

Here's an article written by a friend of mine on the how's and why's of the "Golpeador":

http://www.stringdancer.com/home/articles/instrument_maintenance/installing-a-golpeador-on-a-nylon-string-guitar/

Gibson is an "assembly line" manufacturer of guitars (just like Ford and GM makes cars). The DO NOT manufacture many parts that go into a Gibson Guitar, they contract with a supplier. Gibson does not have a polymer laboratory in the back corner of the factory to make pickguards, pickup rings, tuner buttons and control knobs.

Aftermarket parts houses such as AllParts (NOT Stew-Mac), have the resources to know who those OEM parts suppliers are, and buy the same (or better) products.

The pickguard on my 1963 ES-335 Memphis was cut and made by Gibson. They DO make pickguards for historics.

The pickguard on my 1963 ES-335 Memphis was cut and made by Gibson. They DO make pickguards for historics.

After the Custom Shop repaired my tangerineburst L-5 CES Signature I found that the pickguard came too close to the controls. When I told them this they made me a new, custom pickguard shaped to a tracing I sent them, which provided more clearance. They might not make the raw materials, but they do much of the fabrication.

Danny W.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived