Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

glennc

Hello to all and thanks to those who helped me to get the confidence, information and gumption to experiment!! Well my Epiphone Junior with single humbucker is now cleaned, CTS pots and Spraque Caps to a GFS Mean 90 pickup. And boy don't she sound good. Truly a huge difference from the epi hummer.

Have a question, on intonation and a intonated stopbar. Does lengthening the strings make the strings sharper or flatter, yes an elementary question, but haven't wrapped my head around it yet. Also wondering ways to get it to stay in tune, thinking of maybe getting a inexpensive Agile LP and don't really need to put the money into grovers or klusons or a new nut on the epi unless I get the gumption to do it myself. I've seen the precut nuts on StewMac but nothing for the Epiphone. Don't have the tools to slot and do my own from scratch.

Thanks for any info and assistance!

Glenn

Glad you like the Mean 90. Good PU for the money.

Shorter string length means sharper; longer means flatter. Play a string open and then at the 12th fret. If it's sharp, the string needs to be longer. if it's flat, the string needs to be shorter.

Hopefully you don't need new tuners. Nuts are cheap; have you checked around with other suppliers?

Glad you like the Mean 90. Good PU for the money.

Shorter string length means sharper; longer means flatter. Play a string open and then at the 12th fret. If it's sharp, the string needs to be longer. if it's flat, the string needs to be shorter.

Hopefully you don't need new tuners. Nuts are cheap; have you checked around with other suppliers?

Hey Bluemans335,

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to find a video or instructions on setting the stopbar tailpiece with no luck. It seems that all the strings are sharper, so maybe I can work from the original position which I kept. I will try some other distributors.

Glenn

Nice one! Sounds like you are happy with the modifications. Rock on.

Howdy bigneil,

I tried to purchase several Epiphone Les Paul Special I with 2 P-90s. After several bad ones and waiting on shipping and returns, I played a Epi Junior and it just felt very good. Since I gave up on the Special I, I now needed a P90 sound. This fits the bill quite well for the price and I had fun doing it!

Glenn

Archived