Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riveria 12-String

smalaney

I purchased an Epiphone Riveria 12-string some years ago at a yard sale for a very cheap price. After getting the neck adjusted, getting the right case (came in acoustic guitar case) I started play ing. One problem I had was intonation since the octave strings were on the same adjustable saddle piece. I replace this with a fully compensated saddle which I acquired on e-bay. All that is background. What I am really trying to figure outs is there a way to tell if this is one of the reissue models made in Japan in the early 90's. All the pictures I have seen would support that supposition. The serial number is R971 0526.

I have looked on the Epiphone site - but have not found an easy way to determine when it was made, or place of origin.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know what these things are worth these days?. Are they rare or easy to find. I have only seen the earlier version which are very valuable but I assume the Japanese re-issues are much less so.

Thanks!

smalaney

post-41534-012570100 1362065142_thumb.jpg

post-41534-051113300 1362065151_thumb.jpg

I have lusted after a Rickenbacker 660/12 for years but could never justify spending that much on a guitar that will be used on less then a 1/5 of what I play. Your axe gives a whole other set of options, love the look. How wide is the neck at the nut?

I did a quick eBay search and almost choked at the prices I was seeing, until I realized they were for original 60's vintage guitars ( Still a healthy price ! ! ! ).

I guess I will continue to lust after that 12 string and wait till I hit the lotto, lol.

Enjoy,

Harry

The nut is 1 11/16" wide. Contrast that to my vintage Harmony 12 string which is 1 3/4 wide at the nut. It is a great sounding guitar and fun to play. My problem generally is that I have short stubby fingers, which are now starting to get arthritic so play this is getting to be more difficult. I find myself playing my nylon string guitar or other "wider neck" instruments more frequently. Anyway, thanks for the post, not sure what I am going to do with this instrument, hate to part with it but on the other hand it is a sin (IMHO) to have an instrument just hanging on the wall not being played..

Archived