Gibson Brands Forums

Pre War J 200 reissues

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks ,

back when we first talked about the 2012 reissue being the closest I remember a few of you pointed out that they didn't have the tapered headstock .

has gibson ever put out a pre war reissue or a J 200 reissue with a tapered headstock ? if they never have done it is it because of the lack of prewar examples to analize ?

here's a photo of the 2012 version :

sj200_30s_2_zpsc3e38fc8.jpg

here's a photo of the Elderly Instruments one :

42Sj2002.jpg

42SJ200.jpg

42Sj2003.jpg

thanks for any opinions or info on this matter =D

JC

has gibson ever put out a pre war reissue or a J 200 reissue with a tapered headstock ? if they never have done it is it because of the lack of prewar examples to analize ?

IIRC -- I could easily be wrong (Are you out there, Hogeye?) -- the 1994 Ray Whitleys do not have a tapered headstock either. Since these and the 2012s are probably Bozeman's most serious attempts to copy a prewar J-200, I suspect that means none has had a tapered headstock. Customs are a definite potential exception, of course. I'm not sure there is a single reason for this, but it is true that the 2012s were based on studying photos rather than attempting to duplicate a specific guitar they had in-hand. (The 2012 specs were done by Robi and Don, neither of whom is really an expert on vintage Gibsons.)

Bozeman has always relied on outside experts for details of vintage models. Some folks -- J-1854Me, for example (Hey, Fred!) -- have devoted a lot of time and effort over the years, trying to help them do a better job on logos and such. (Then, they turn their backs for just one minute, and Bozeman start cranking out Banner J-35s. :) That's so Gibson!)

-- Bob R

Notice how the "O" in Gibson has a small opening on the Elderly example. My J55 from 1939 has a similar opening and I had not seen that in pictures before this one. Is there any rhyme or reason to the logo styles? I guess what I'm really asking is as far as the fat script inlay goes, have any of you seen the open "O" before?

Rich

Archived