Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP pickups

BobF_

You may find this article helpful: "Tech Tip:How To Install Gibson Pickups In Epiphone Guitars"

http://www.musicians...Guitars/m710732

Thanks for the link.

I'm still thinking it's easier to just buy a guitar with the pups I want and about the same cost.

If I was set on a particular guitar rather than pups, it would be a different story.

Thanks. For some odd reason I'm getting an urge to buy a plain-jane lp and drop a 490/498 set into it.

I have a Std Pro - love the ProBuckers.

The 498T/490R set frustrates many players, as the bridge is very bright and thin, and the neck is dark and warm. Makes it hard to get an amp EQ that works well for both PU's. That's why you see a lot of used ones for sale.

Replacing PU's is very simple, I've done it to almost all of my guitars. Takes no skill or experience. Any humbucker fits in any humbucker cavity, it's standardized.

Every piece of wood is unique (grain, density, water content, mineral content) even if cut from the same tree. Wood has a big impact on a guitar's tone, so a PU can be put in 5 guitars and sound different in every one of them. You can select a PU you like the sound of in someone else's guitar, but there's no guarantee that it'll sound like that in your guitar. This is a source of confusion for many players; they think if they buy a PU they'll get an exact sound. They often don't, because of the wood's tonal characteristics and the guitar's design. A PU will sound very different in a Les Paul, than it will in a Strat, and vice versa.

A manufacturer specs out a certain PU set for a guitar model, and in some they will sound very good, and in others they won't. Same guitar model, same PU's, different tones. Some pieces of wood are bright, others will be dark; some will have a tighter low end, others will be loose. Some will sustain better than others. It's all about matching a particular guitar to the right PU's to produce the tones you want. So a $3,000 guitar may have a set of stock PU's that do not compliment the wood. And mid-price imports will almost always benefit from PU upgrade. That's why there's a thriving after market for PU's. A certain percentage of guitars come from the factory not having PU's suited for them. That means you can pick those up cheap, replace the PU's and have a great-sounding guitar. It's worth learning about this stuff so you can do that. That control of your instrument, take control of your tone.

I bought a 1960 trib standard in vintage sunburst, with the epi version of alnico classics, they were nice but not as hot as I like so I did the swap, the 57's are more like the original PAF'S

'57's are not 'hot' at all. They're a low output wind with low output magnets. No heat there.

Burstbuckers are much more like original PAF's than '57 Classics. In fact, Epi Probuckers with their unbalanced coils are more like original PAF's than Gibson '57's.

The 498T/490R set frustrates many players, as the bridge is very bright and thin, and the neck is dark and warm. Makes it hard to get an amp EQ that works well for both PU's. That's why you see a lot of used ones for sale.

Replacing PU's is very simple, I've done it to almost all of my guitars. Takes no skill or experience. Any humbucker fits in any humbucker cavity, it's standardized.

Every piece of wood is unique (grain, density, water content, mineral content) even if cut from the same tree. Wood has a big impact on a guitar's tone, so a PU can be put in 5 guitars and sound different in every one of them. You can select a PU you like the sound of in someone else's guitar, but there's no guarantee that it'll sound like that in your guitar. This is a source of confusion for many players; they think if they buy a PU they'll get an exact sound. They often don't, because of the wood's tonal characteristics and the guitar's design. A PU will sound very different in a Les Paul, than it will in a Strat, and vice versa.

A manufacturer specs out a certain PU set for a guitar model, and in some they will sound very good, and in others they won't. Same guitar model, same PU's, different tones. Some pieces of wood are bright, others will be dark; some will have a tighter low end, others will be loose. Some will sustain better than others. It's all about matching a particular guitar to the right PU's to produce the tones you want. So a $3,000 guitar may have a set of stock PU's that do not compliment the wood. And mid-price imports will almost always benefit from PU upgrade. That's why there's a thriving after market for PU's. A certain percentage of guitars come from the factory not having PU's suited for them. That means you can pick those up cheap, replace the PU's and have a great-sounding guitar. It's worth learning about this stuff so you can do that. That control of your instrument, take control of your tone.

That's a great post. Everybody thinks, yeah I just throw in new pickups and I'll sound like____________. (favorite guitarist name here) Then it happens, your guitar don't sound like it, because of all the variable factors.

I keep thinking about throwing the pickups that I put in my MIK Epi(496 & 500) into my LP Special, just because I like the Special's weight and the 60's neck. But I'm afraid it won't sound as good as the Epi so I'm just gonna leave them in.

Archived