Gibson Brands Forums

worn wilshire pu replacements

John Tedder

Can anyone give me some good suggestions for replacing the pups on a worn wilshire66? I assume the originals are mini humbuckers. I would also be interested in dating the guitar. I know it isn't very old but would like the specs anyway. The serial# is: 0908231157

Gibson, Seymour Duncan and Jason Lollar make replacements. DiMarzio make one but it's the Firebird type with no polepieces. GFS make a variety in different outputs. In the UK you can also get Catswhisker and IronGear replacements. Depends how much you want to spend and what sound you're looking for. I put a Gibson one in a Telecaster neck position once. It was OK but a Tele isn't a Wilshire. Most of the soundclips you can find are of mini hums fitted to a Les Paul. I don't know if they'd sound the same in a thin mahogony body. I think a lot of the sound is from the amp. Plugged into my little Vox solid state amp it sounds OK, but through my Cornford valve amp it's very much better.

From your serial number I'd guess your Wilshire is a 2009. I base this on my serial number also beginning 0908. They were first realeased in 09, I bought mine in 09 and the serial starts 09. As it's unlikely to be older and it can't be newer that seems pretty conclusive.

Soapbar P90's will fit apparently. And that opens up a whole world of choice.

No, it works the other way around. You can fit mini hums to a soapbar rout because the mini hum surround is made out of a soapbar cover. A regular mini hum rout is too small for a soapbar.

Archived