Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

heymisterk

So, I have pretty much become a single coil convert, but there are times where a humbucker guitar is required. So, here it is my "new" 2006 PRS SE:

2013-03-11_08-10-53_358_zps9b78f713.jpg

I had a SD JB installed. This guitar is HOT! As is common for these Korean-made SEs, the build quality is great. Picked it up on eBay for $350. I love the look!

She's pretty, but I don't think the pic shows its true color. Either way, grats and enjoy!

BTW.....Why are you a single coil convert? I just trust my ears to determine whats better and couldn't tell a humbucker from a P90 by eye even, but what is the difference WITHOUT getting into tech talk cause...yawn.

Is one growlier, is one brighter?

My girlfriend really likes the single pup Teisco I got and it does sound so pretty when I play country/folk. Sort of thin for power chords.

So what is it about single coil....

She's pretty, but I don't think the pic shows its true color. Either way, grats and enjoy!

BTW.....Why are you a single coil convert? I just trust my ears to determine whats better and couldn't tell a humbucker from a P90 by eye even, but what is the difference WITHOUT getting into tech talk cause...yawn.

Is one growlier, is one brighter?

My girlfriend really likes the single pup Teisco I got and it does sound so pretty when I play country/folk. Sort of thin for power chords.

So what is it about single coil....

Well, you won't get any tech talk from me, because I wouldn't know any! [unsure]

What I like about single coils are the two "Ss" that endear them to me over 'buckers: Spank and Sparkle. A P-90 is going to have the biting treble response and lots of overtones. P-90s pushed through a tube amp is my idea of tonal heaven. For a great example of this, listen to any of the WHO's "LIve at Leeds" or Woodstock stuff. To me, the P-90 is the ultimate pick-up, the classic "Bad Boy." In addition, my experience is that a P-90 are the best at responding to how light or heavy you pick. The trade off, of course, is the hum

A Tele definitely has sparkle, although your garden-variety Tele pick-up is not nearly as hot as a P-90. But through a fuzz box or simply overdriven, the Tele is pretty damn compelling.

Archived