Gibson Brands Forums

Best neck, and fingerboard wood for SG discussion

drzing

You see, when drzing singled you out for not "participating properly" in his thread, it occurred to me that he wasn't "participating properly" in his own thread. I think if you re-read my post, it should be pretty clear to you that I was mocking him.

For what it's worth, I think you're right regarding "tone woods." It's largely marketing hype. And I challenge drzing and his "guitarrist scientists" [sic] to present any sort of data that rosewood fretboards make you play slower or mahogany necks dull the sound or that an Ash body is any more resonant than Alder.

The truth of it is, players who have maple necks like maple necks best because people love their own expensive stuff. It's a known cognitive bias.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure, I may have been in brain fart mode..lol..cheers. [thumbup]

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure, I may have been in brain fart mode..lol..cheers. [thumbup]

I always liked this video that kind of explains there's really no differences in tone between the fingerboards. If you can look past the sarcastic swearing the man has a good point and enough of a guitar collection that you know he's speaking from experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfr7LtDPb4

SG50, probably the most intelligent guitarrist of the board (yeah, I'm mocking you too), although

you have probably by accident found out the main reason I did this post, this is all about bias,

and woods of course (even if two instruments made of the same woods can't sound the same, with the

very same configuration), still, I know theres a lot of guitarrists here and bassists who have had

the opportunity to try a lot more woods than some of us, RM, its nothing personal, but you have

totally gone offtopic, no matter how good your intent might have been.

Besides that, there is shitty wood. You cannot just take down the first tree you find and carve

yourself a guitar, the whole mix of woods are probably a manner to balance the tone into the

industry standards. Some people don't want a guitar that sounds way too sinister, or way too

happy.

What has really made me post like that was having someone telling me (and others)how to behave or

what attitude to have.

Can we behave like true guitarrists? Geez! (JK)

I have no problems with positive criticism, but I won't feed no trolls.

Nice discussion ppl.

Archived