Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting the p'up height on my Jr

20_Gauge

I set my action really low & there isn't much room(my opinion) between the strings & the pickup. The strings don't ring/sustain when plucked.

Is lowering the p'up as simple as turning the 2 screws? Is there anything I need to specifically measure/pay attention to?

Thanks!

1) Yes

2) No

Like many other guitars things, play around with it to find what sounds best to your ear.

Ok cool, thanks Joe!

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna screw somethin' up.

When strings are too close to the PU's, the magnetic pull from the PU's will reduce sustain. The strings should be high enough off the frets to vibrate cleanly without fret buzz, as that's a tone killer.

Thanks for the info, Blue.

That's why I think the I should lower the p'up, I feel like the strings don't ring or sustain long after plucked. Could be just me though.

There's no rattling or buzzing off the frets, I got my action as low as it can w/o "noise".

Not sure I wanna get that technical by messing with the intonation.

The alternative is being out of tune as you play up and down the neck. 'Technical?' Geez. What do you call tying your shoes? All you need is a small flathead screwdriver and a tuner. Play the open string: if the 12th fret is sharp, the string is too short, so you move the saddle a little further back. If the note at the 12th fret is flat, the string is too long and you move the saddle a bit closer. This changes with the seasons (temp and humidity), so it's in your best interest to take a hands-on approach to your instruments.

The best thing you can do is get Dan Erlewine's book: 'How to make your electric guitar play great', from StewMac. Most of it involves no skill or experience, and no special tools.

20 Gauge,

A good starting point would be 5/32" from top of the adjustable pole (screw slotted one) to bottom of the E 6th string and then again 5/32" from the pole top to the bottom of the E 1st string. That should put you in the ballpark. If necessary you can fine tune from there.

Thom...

The alternative is being out of tune as you play up and down the neck. 'Technical?' Geez. What do you call tying your shoes? All you need is a small flathead screwdriver and a tuner. Play the open string: if the 12th fret is sharp, the string is too short, so you move the saddle a little further back. If the note at the 12th fret is flat, the string is too long and you move the saddle a bit closer. This changes with the seasons (temp and humidity), so it's in your best interest to take a hands-on approach to your instruments.

The best thing you can do is get Dan Erlewine's book: 'How to make your electric guitar play great', from StewMac. Most of it involves no skill or experience, and no special tools.

"if the 12th fret is sharp, the string is too short, so you move the saddle a little further back. If the note at the 12th fret is flat, the string is too long and you move the saddle a bit closer." - that's technical to me, Blue.

Will definitely look into gettin' that book.

20 Gauge,

A good starting point would be 5/32" from top of the adjustable pole (screw slotted one) to bottom of the E 6th string and then again 5/32" from the pole top to the bottom of the E 1st string. That should put you in the ballpark. If necessary you can fine tune from there.

Thom...

Thanks for the measurements, Thom. [thumbup]

Hey guys, don't got my ruler w/ me so I'm eyeballin' it, can I maybe get some pics of y'all's p'up height(in relation to the strings)?

Or should I just wait 'til I have a ruler for exact measurements?

Just dove in & lowered my p'up:2013-03-20_17-05-29_80_zps6120e002.jpg. Big difference from where it was, huh?

Haven't plugged it in yet but I can already hear & feel the strings vibrating more. Might need some minor raising but the "how to" articles I read said the lower the p'up, the more distortion & the Country Rock sound I'm goin' for is heavily distorted.

Adjusting the intonation on a Les Paul Jr. is much different than on a guitar with individual bridge saddles. Unless you have a bridge with separate saddles on it, the only way to set the intonation on a LP Jr. is to loosen the allen posts at the end of each side of the bridge one side at a time and hit the harmonic on the 12th fret on E string on each side of the neck and then hit the fret. Fron there, you would adjust the allen post until the intonation is set and then do the other side of the neck . As far as pickup height is concerned, too close to the strings will definately result in a loss of tone , so I would press down on all strings at the last fret and have the height on the Bass side at say 1 CM and then put the Treble side at 0.5 . Try that and see what happens. Good luck.

Archived