Gibson Brands Forums

Top Hats

CJN

Can I fit a set of Gibson Top Hat-knobs to my 2011 Les Paul Traditional? I tried to replace one of the original knobs, but the resistance was so great that I didn't dare to push it into place (the Top Hat-knob seemed to small)...

Thanks!

If you bought no-name aftermarket knobs, they're probably Asian made to metric dimensions and specifications, which will not properly fit MIA pot shafts as used in Gibson guitars.

About the only way I know to assure a proper fit on the potentiometers Gibson uses is to buy "Gibson" branded knobs. They may cost you a little more, but they'll fit.

There are ways to MAKE the knobs you have fit, but I would recommend that ONLY as a last resort, for you would run the risk of damage and injury.

you'd like to assume right, but in reality you can't. The parts used will vary slightly for these sort of change outs from year to year. I would assume the later models would be more consistent, but that's just a swag on my part.

Let me ask ya this, as far as you know,,, are the pots original? The only thing to do is measure your shaft, and if you can measure the opening. (get the ball park numbers here) And they should be TIGHT, but not impossibly so.

Pushing them ON aint gonna be the problem,, it's taking them back off that can be nightmarish. I've seen shafts pull right out from the pot during just simple cosmetic changes like you're trying to do.

Just after you measure, maybe make sure the knurling on the knob is sort of lined up with the shaft, It's not easy, nor an exact science.

Resist the temptation to push the spot shaft half's together, IME they break a lot easier than you can imagine.

My advice - and this is from a guy who has had to learn to leave things alone the hard way.. -> let it be Brother, let it be..

1363709057[/url]' post='1347850']

Can I fit a set of Gibson Top Hat-knobs to my 2011 Les Paul Traditional? I tried to replace one of the original knobs, but the resistance was so great that I didn't dare to push it into place (the Top Hat-knob seemed to small)...

Thanks!

Yes, Gibson brand knobs will push on and it will feel like you are exerting a lot of force. I just put black top hats on my 2012 V.

Archived