Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD- Epi Special I P-90s Worn Cherry

swamprock

Since I have a Junior with a Mean-90 and a LP100 with a SD JB bridge and Mean-90 neck, I wanted a dual P-90 guitar to round out my arsenal and give me more tone options. Having read the posts here praising these low-cost wonders, I grabbed one in Worn Cherry. Unfortunately, I missed the $99 instant rebate by a couple of days, and my local GC adamantly won't honor coupons due to the Epi/Gibson exclusion, but oh well...

I played her a bit at rehearsal, but I've got some setup (string change, smooth out fret ends) and mods (Tusq nut, locking tuners, new cap and possibly new pots) to do before she's ready for prime time. I played a floor model and dug it, but it was pretty beat, so I took my chances with a boxed guitar. From the box, the setup was quite nice once tuned, and she sounded and played great! I love the mid-switch honk she has! The grain through the (really thin) finish is a nice touch, although you can see the various seams from the body pieces on the edges. Big deal. I like her!

special1_1.jpg

special1_2.jpg

Since I have a Junior with a Mean-90 and a LP100 with a SD JB bridge and Mean-90 neck, I wanted a dual P-90 guitar to round out my arsenal and give me more tone options. Having read the posts here praising these low-cost wonders, I grabbed one in Worn Cherry. Unfortunately, I missed the $99 instant rebate by a couple of days, and my local GC adamantly won't honor coupons due to the Epi/Gibson exclusion, but oh well...

I played her a bit at rehearsal, but I've got some setup (string change, smooth out fret ends) and mods (Tusq nut, locking tuners, new cap and possibly new pots) to do before she's ready for prime time. I played a floor model and dug it, but it was pretty beat, so I took my chances with a boxed guitar. From the box, the setup was quite nice once tuned, and she sounded and played great! I love the mid-switch honk she has! The grain through the (really thin) finish is a nice touch, although you can see the various seams from the body pieces on the edges. Big deal. I like her!

special1_1.jpg

special1_2.jpg

I found them to be a good sounding guitar, enjoy!

Glenn

I am seriously considering getting one of those in the TV Yellow finish but would like to know how the stock tuners are on them. I'm not a fan of the trapezoid style tuners and if I do get one, I'd like to know if the tuners are any good or if I should swap them out for a set of Grovers.

I am seriously considering getting one of those in the TV Yellow finish but would like to know how the stock tuners are on them. I'm not a fan of the trapezoid style tuners and if I do get one, I'd like to know if the tuners are any good or if I should swap them out for a set of Grovers.

They're the same cheapo diecast tuners as the Juniors and Special IIs. I've read reports that they're decent, but I'm going to swap the ones in my guitar with locking Sperzel-type tuners anyway, along with the nut.

They're the same cheapo diecast tuners as the Juniors and Special IIs. I've read reports that they're decent, but I'm going to swap the ones in my guitar with locking Sperzel-type tuners anyway, along with the nut.

I might replace the tuners with Ping's p2650 $30 type but after uncovering the one's that are already on it they are quite nice aesthetically, but I'm not sure I trust them completely.

I am getting a wiring kit for that vintage tone http://www.ebay.com/itm/Les-Paul-Jr-reproduction-bumble-bee-wiring-harness-/250848877605?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a67c21c25

that will be about all this street banger will get.

Archived