Gibson Brands Forums

Looper pedal

Nealsey

Guys,

I am considering in investing in a looper pedal, can anyone recommend one and if so what kind of functionality should I be looking for?

Neal

Check out the TC Ditto Looper

“TC Electronic Ditto Looper” — $129.99 http://proguitarshop.com/tc-electronic-ditto-looper.html The TC Elec...

Faded......

The Boss Loop Stations are the obvious choice. I have the RC-2 (now replaced with the RC-3) and the RC-50. The RC-2 has plenty of time for loops and you can store things you want to keep or to trigger during a song. It annoys me that you have to tap dance on the thing to turn it off or to go straight from record to overdub, but I guess that's the necessary compromise in terms of fitting it into a single pedal, and the RC-30 solves these problems if you can afford the pedalboard space. The 50 is great, if a big thing to lug around. You can record three independent loops and switch them in and out, and I've used it to play back backing tracks in various configurations in an electronica type set up.

The other one I've owned is the Akai Headrush, which was fun and a good echo as well, but the limited loop time was way too short for me and I wanted to be able to store sounds, so ended up switching to the Boss for those reasons.

I believe there's a Digitech looper similar to the Boss, and one of the Line 6 Delays has a loop function which I think is similar to the Akai. I tried a Vox one recently that had two independent loops and built in effects, but again no opportunity to store loops. There's an Australian looper called the Boomerang that looks really cool and I've seen Warren Ellis (Dirty Three / Bad Seeds violinist) use it to great effect, but I've had the chance to try one. I notice Warren's gone over to a Loop Station for the last few tours.

I recently picked up 2 of the TCE loopers, a "transition" and a "flashback". I've been experimenting with both pedals as there are many various "tone print" settings to mess with.You can also get the tone print lab software and make infinate adjustments (both have usb connectors) In combination with one another, some really strange electronic sounds can be made. It's a great noisemaker combination. Here is a link to Harmony Central with a sample vid with a whammy V4

It isn't a tune , just an experiment

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/video/gallerypage/video-id/x0YW13YjqFWDGxDulLByd2OQa7GFN3EE

The loop station seems to be the way to go then, loads of reviews recommend them and they are not out

Of my price range. Going to try to get my local shop to get one in for me to try.

Thanks for the guidance guys.

Neal

I've got a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper.

I find it very well made, with all steel construction, and really solid foot switches.

The readout could be a bit bigger, but the face is well laid out, with all functions being reasonably accessible.

Really good recording space, with additional space available if you insert a chip card.

All in all one of the better pieces of gear I've got.

Archived