Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot ES 339 vs. Epiphone ES339 Pro

rubenracer

Hello, To any one out there. I just purchased a Epi Dot ES 339 in Cherry. Amazing guitar ! I went on the website to the warranty site and it only shows the ES 339 Pro. Had a tough time even finding anywhere any info on the Dot ES 339. The Serial number sticker inside the guitar says Dot ES 339 CH. The only difference I can see is the ES 339 Pro comes with Grover Tuners mine has Epiphone Deluxe tuners. Without taking out the pickups I have no idea what kind of pickups are used. I would appreciate any kind of info as to the discrepancy here.

Thanks Ruben in Jersey

Hello, To any one out there. I just purchased a Epi Dot ES 339 in Cherry. Amazing guitar ! I went on the website to the warranty site and it only shows the ES 339 Pro. Had a tough time even finding anywhere any info on the Dot ES 339. The Serial number sticker inside the guitar says Dot ES 339 CH. The only difference I can see is the ES 339 Pro comes with Grover Tuners mine has Epiphone Deluxe tuners. Without taking out the pickups I have no idea what kind of pickups are used. I would appreciate any kind of info as to the discrepancy here.

Thanks Ruben in Jersey

This guitar started all the problems:

My friend also has an ES339 in Cherry from the first run, seems Cherry was the first color to show up in the states.

His has Probuckers.

Epiphone then changed specs to Alnico Classic Pro PU and dropped the price $100 and renamed the guitar ES339-Pro.

The only way to know is on a string change unscrew and look at the bottom of the PUs.

The PUs are the only difference.

To me a significant one as I do not think much of the Alnico Classic Pro.

If you like the guitar and want to know though the only way to tell is check the PUs other wise just play and enjoy.

This guitar started all the problems:

My friend also has an ES339 in Cherry from the first run, seems Cherry was the first color to show up in the states.

His has Probuckers.

Epiphone then changed specs to Alnico Classic Pro PU and dropped the price $100 and renamed the guitar ES339-Pro.

The only way to know is on a string change unscrew and look at the bottom of the PUs.

The PUs are the only difference.

To me a significant one as I do not think much of the Alnico Classic Pro.

If you like the guitar and want to know though the only way to tell is check the PUs other wise just play and enjoy.

It would appear then that the 339 is not available. The only model I can find other than the pro is the Ultra-339 with ProBucker 2 and 3 pups. So you can still get the 339 with the ProBuckers.

http://www.musicians...electric-guitar

PS. It still comes in cherry, the Ultra that is.

Cheers

Wayne

• 6 years later...

There are a few differences  the pro has a d shaped slim taper neck for quote faster playing. The pro had epiphone vintage  tuners and the 339 has grover tuners. The pro has coil tapping the 339 is single coil. The 339 has a gloss finish and the pro is poly urethane.  I personally hate slim taper necks. The 339 has jumbo frets the pro medium. I own a Gibson les paul tribute which I love! I wanted a semi hollow. I was looking at Gretch guitars but don't tremolos . The 339 dot 2020 has gone back to the classic Gibson feel. They went to the c shaped neck with jumbo frets. It's not to expensive so I gave it a shot. I plan on sanding the neck down ,I cant stand glossy necks. I was watching some videos on that. You can use one of those green pads, their not as aggressive as steel wool. I'll report back when I get the guitar and give a review.

My 2020 Epiphone ES-339 is wonderful I prefer the changes they made to compared to the 339 Pro. For me, the Rounded C Profile neck is very comfortable and provides easy access to all of the high notes. The Grover tuners are a definite improvement. In addition the full sized pots are very smooth providing very fine adjustments unlike the Pro's Push/Pull coil taping pots. Also the use of the original Epiphone headstock is appreciated. This new Epiphone ES-339 is built as a very accurate reproduction of the Gibson version.

front-banner-1600_900.png

front-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac