Gibson Brands Forums

Checked out the ES-139 and some of the new Gibsons

btoth76

Hello!

Yesterday, I drove to Wien, and while there I've visited the shop called Klangfarbe. It's in Guglgasse 14 - worth taking a look at the site on Street View. Wonderful, old gas production plant turned into a shopping mall.

The shop itself is very nice. Excellent stock. Whatever You might need, You'll find it there: huge array of all kinds of effect pedals - big brands and boutique makers; Marshall, Fender amps; big stock of Fender, Epiphone and Gibson guitars. English-speaking, friendly workers. However, they didn't have any pure nickel strings I was after...

So, I took a quick look at the Gibsons. Mainly, the ES-139 which caught my attention recently. I am sad to say, it was a disappointment. On promo pictures it looked simple, but nicely done, interesting guitar. In real life? Like an overpriced thinline version of a LPJ/LPM. I would consider buying it, if it was like 400 EUROS, but definitely not for 1000 more. It's very simple, and dull. It's thin like Les Paul, but a wider a bit. Absolutely boring instrument, a very cheap-looking one. I mean, at the first (and second glance) it gave me the impression of an Epi quality instrument. Not even a hardcase for such an overpriced instrument.

Then, I've noticed the 120 Anniversary models. Wow, that new Explorer. Wonderful!!! Perfectly done, impressive guitar as expected from a Gibson.

The walnut-coloured SG is another attention-grabber. Never seen a better-looking SG before. The new Les Paul Standards have very exciting new finishes, they are handsome guitars. The root-beer(?) coloured one is breath-taking!

To summarize: from all the 2014 models, the Explorer is the absolute winner.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I feel a bit guilty of putting the Epi down in my original post. Excuse me for that!

The Epi thinlines in the shop, looked way better-made than the ES-139 I saw. I am not sure which Epi models I have seen, but they all seemed to be better-built than their solid-body budget models. On par with the similiar Yamaha and Ibanez guitars.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

...So, I took a quick look at the Gibsons. Mainly, the ES-139 which caught my attention recently. I am sad to say, it was a disappointment. On promo pictures it looked simple, but nicely done, interesting guitar. In real life? Like an overpriced thinline version of a LPJ/LPM. I would consider buying it, if it was like 400 EUROS, but definitely not for 1000 more. It's very simple, and dull. It's thin like Les Paul, but a wider a bit. Absolutely boring instrument, a very cheap-looking one. I mean, at the first (and second glance) it gave me the impression of an Epi quality instrument. Not even a hardcase for such an overpriced instrument..

Cheers... Bence

Thank you for that Bence. I had an interest in the ES-139 awhile back (you may recall my thread complaining about no hard case included especially for that price) but I never did a hands on with it because of that simple fact. I still gig so I have to have a case for whatever I decide to take out with me. What you have revealed about your opinion of the build quality just makes me twice as happy I took a pass on following up any further on this one. Cheers back at you my Euro-brother! [thumbup]

• 11 months later...

This is an old topic but I was searching for info on this guitar and, having owned it recently for less than a week I thought I'd put my thoughts on here for future reference, in case someone out there wants to get yet another idea of what it is like.

It looks like a big LP, light weight at under 7lbs, airy tones on the neck. The bridge was trebly and raunchy and if you're into that cool. Seemed like a well made guitar, no issues with the quality of construction. Was used so the set-up was good but may not be good from the box.

Why it didn't work for me: Either airy or trebly, no in between. I was sounding either WAY crunchy or WAY delicate and soulful. It didn't do anything my SG can't already do.

Meh, ES-339 is WAY awesomer BUT if you're into jazz it may do you good. If you're thinking about the ES-339 without F-holes, this may be a lower cost alternative. Very comfortable to play and it looks cool. I had the black one. Don't miss it.

Archived