Gibson Brands Forums

Headin' to Vegas, baby...!

Pesh

G'day, all.

This coming Saturday (Sep 20) I'l heading "over the pond" to the fair old USA, touching-down in the city of Las Vegas.

I'm going for a stag do and a wedding in the week I'm there (not a Chapel o' Love wedding done by an Elvis impersonator...) but in my downtime, when I'm not hungover by the pool; I'd like to know what musical delights Vegas has to offer.

I've done some research, but I thought asking here might be useful as there are possibly residents or previous visitors in-the-know.

I've heard of the House of Blues; are there any other music clubs of a similar sort?

I'm also interested in hearing about places I could find a guitar. Pawn shops with a healthy guitar selection and second-hand instruments, etc. Even the big chain stores; I wanna know where to go. I've got the unrealistic dream I'm going to find some lost vintage relic in a dingy pawn shop, but I'd be happy with anything.

Let me know, folks!

Guest Farnsbarns

not a Chapel o' Love wedding done by an Elvis impersonator

And what's wrong with that? :angry: I did that, and just to add some class we did it on Valentine's day :P

And what's wrong with that? :angry: I did that, and just to add some class we did it on Valentine's day :P

Haha; nothing wrong with it at all mate! [biggrin] I've just had almost everyone ask if that's what was happening; so I pre-empted the question! [tongue] I would love to see them do it that way, if I'm honest. But no they had to go and be romantic! They're doing some sunset wedding ceremony in a place called the Valley of Fire!

He's British; she's Spanish. The neutral location for both families would logically have been France, but no; Vegas. Ah well!

Well done for the valentines day wedding; was it a spur-of-the-moment or planned event?

Guest Farnsbarns

Haha; nothing wrong with it at all mate! [biggrin] I've just had almost everyone ask if that's what was happening; so I pre-empted the question! [tongue] I would love to see them do it that way, if I'm honest. But no they had to go and be romantic! They're doing some sunset wedding ceremony in a place called the Valley of Fire!

He's British; she's Spanish. The neutral location for both families would logically have been France, but no; Vegas. Ah well!

Well done for the valentines day wedding; was it a spur-of-the-moment or planned event?

We planned it although choosing Valentine's day didn't come up until we actually booked it and we thought, F it, why not? Saves me money every year and the shops remind me every year with their signs and promos.

We planned it although choosing Valentine's day didn't come up until we actually booked it and we thought, F it, why not? Saves me money every year and the shops remind me every year with their signs and promos.

Brilliant tactic! Good logic employment there, my friend!

I'm also interested in hearing about places I could find a guitar. Pawn shops with a healthy guitar selection and second-hand instruments, etc. Even the big chain stores; I wanna know where to go. I've got the unrealistic dream I'm going to find some lost vintage relic in a dingy pawn shop, but I'd be happy with anything.

My experiences in Las Vegas have been fun. It is a great town, much better than Atlantic City that I live just outside of. Gambling, TONNES of shows of all kinds, espcially Cirque, food everywhere and some great chefs out there doing great things.

I don't gamble, I've thrown approximately 25 dollars at gambling in over 2 weeks of visiting Vegas a few times. We plan to go through there again in 2017, spend a few days, won't gamble then either!

Eat, enjoy the shows, gamble if you do that. If you have a day, drive up to Area 51, it's a hooot!

Oh, guitars, yeah. The big box stores are the same as any other big box store in any other city. The local stores are all on the Vegas Hip thing, so yer paying just stupid prices for used Epiphones. The pawn shops are all trying to get latest Ebay plus 200 dollars for everything, so not really worth the time. There is no dusty gem in any pawn shop anymore, no great deal waiting to be had, everyone has a laptop and can know in a blink how much stuff will go for.

Do yourself a favor, enjoy Las Vegas and some of the best desert environments in America. Take a few drives out, see some of the country if you can. Have fun and be careful, that place can really be hazardous!

rct

My wife and I were just there in July and had a great time. We saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Los Lonely Boys at a place called the Palms. It was a great show, especially for those of us guitar players, and my wife even enjoyed it. Check to see who may be there this week-end. They have a lot of atypical Vegas shows. It's off the strip about a mile.

The pawn shop that is on the one cable show is, of course, in Las Vegas. I have been to it but can't remember the name of the show or the name of the shop. [unsure] Sorry. Some one else on here I'm sure can tell you the name of it. It is only worth it so that you can say that you have been there. When I went there they had what looked like a nice PRS hanging up for sale. But no one would take it down for me to check it out.

Speaking of PRS, Santana was doing a long stint at the House of Blues but that is over now. Or it was; I'm not sure when he is scheduled back. But, yes, you should check out who is scheduled there. The problem is that this late, this close to the week-end, it is more than likely sold out. When we were there the only Santana tickets left were VIP at $750 each. Needless to say, we skipped that.

Have fun.

I lived in Vegas for about 15 years, but it has changed so much in the time I moved back to So Ca.

Depending on what you want to do. One guitar shop is Cow Town guitars.I believe Jessie is still the owner of the shop.

The pawn shops on the "strip" are usually over priced compared to the other pawn shops.

If you go down Fremont street there are many pawn shops, off main street also, and off 2nd street and fourth street.

I scored a great Telecaster in one of the shops off main street.

You should see the light show on Freemont street at night. Just be on the street around 9:00 pm.

The pawn shop on the TV show Pawn Stars is a joke. You are wasting your time going there, standing in line just to get in. Its a very small shop with over priced items.

Just have fun and enjoy your self.

One guitar shop is Cow Town guitars.

I remember I couldn't wait to see that place, 11 years ago or so. Huge disappointment. I was way underwhelmed. Stopped in again in 2008, stupid prices for stupid vintage things that we didn't even like when they were new, stupid prices for stupid boutique things trying to sound just like the stupid vintage things we didn't even like when they were new.

rct

Its been a long time sense I was at Cow Town guitars, so I dont know what its like now.

One place to stay clear of is Ed Eoman guitars. Even though he has some great guitars, and some guitars owned by some famous players, the way he treats his customers is so disrespectful. If you dont have Very deep pockets, he wont give you the time of day.

I think if he is looking at guitars, try the shops off Freemont street<main,2nd, fourth,> or even drive out to Henderson, about 3o min from Vegas. There are lots of shops off Boulder highway on the road to Henderson.

Guest Farnsbarns

My wife and I were just there in July and had a great time. We saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Los Lonely Boys at a place called the Palms. It was a great show, especially for those of us guitar players, and my wife even enjoyed it. Check to see who may be there this week-end. They have a lot of atypical Vegas shows. It's off the strip about a mile.

The pawn shop that is on the one cable show is, of course, in Las Vegas. I have been to it but can't remember the name of the show or the name of the shop. [unsure] Sorry. Some one else on here I'm sure can tell you the name of it. It is only worth it so that you can say that you have been there. When I went there they had what looked like a nice PRS hanging up for sale. But no one would take it down for me to check it out.

Speaking of PRS, Santana was doing a long stint at the House of Blues but that is over now. Or it was; I'm not sure when he is scheduled back. But, yes, you should check out who is scheduled there. The problem is that this late, this close to the week-end, it is more than likely sold out. When we were there the only Santana tickets left were VIP at $750 each. Needless to say, we skipped that.

Have fun.

The shop is simply called Gold and Silver and the show is called Pawn Stars (assuming we're thinking of the same show).

Guest Farnsbarns

Its been a long time sense I was at Cow Town guitars, so I dont know what its like now.

One place to stay clear of is Ed Eoman guitars. Even though he has some great guitars, and some guitars owned by some famous players, the way he treats his customers is so disrespectful. If you dont have Very deep pockets, he wont give you the time of day.

I think if he is looking at guitars, try the shops off Freemont street<main,2nd, fourth,> or even drive out to Henderson, about 3o min from Vegas. There are lots of shops off Boulder highway on the road to Henderson.

"He" is also dead.

Ed Roman passed away a few years ago. The store is AMAZING, and worth visiting even if you go in not planning to purchase anything. Not too far away from the main strip, a few roads over the other side of the freeway. I highly recommend spending an hour or two there just to see everything there.

Like I was saying, its been a while sense I have been back to Las Vegas, so I was unaware that Ed Roman had passed away.

I did visit his shop a few times while I lived there, and thought he treated his customers with a lack of respect.

At first I just shrugged it off, but as I went back a couple more times over the years, it was pretty much the same.

Without a doubt, there were some great guitars in his shop.

The pawn shop on the TV show Pawn Stars is a joke. You are wasting your time going there, standing in line just to get in. Its a very small shop with over priced items.

Just have fun and enjoy your self.

I gotta admit,, I am a fan of the show. The characters grew on me and crack me up.

I always said if I was ever in Vegas I would definitely go see the shop. But if there is a line up to get in.. I would definitely pass.

I hate people.

I'm not a gambler,, but I would go to Vegas just for the food.

I'm not a gambler,, but I would go to Vegas just for the food.

We stayed at Bellagio, 11th floor, right over the fountains. We were on a 6 week cross country, little past midway through when we got there. Paid the hotel to do our laundry, it was exquisite, felt so wasteful and bad! Picasso is the Michelin restaurant in town, in that hotel. It was like a dream, one of the best we've ever eaten at.

Vegas is an eatin town for sure, don't even know where to start next time we go.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

We stayed at Bellagio, 11th floor, right over the fountains. We were on a 6 week cross country, little past midway through when we got there. Paid the hotel to do our laundry, it was exquisite, felt so wasteful and bad! Picasso is the Michelin restaurant in town, in that hotel. It was like a dream, one of the best we've ever eaten at.

Vegas is an eatin town for sure, don't even know where to start next time we go.

rct

Snap, only we were on the 22nd floor.

Farns...

Valentines is our anniversary too. It happened by accident - really. We weren't kids, it was 2nd for both of us and it was the most practical option available for months and months before and after. So... Romance was purchased by practicality and it's great because there's no way one can forget short of brain damage.

Vegas?

I used to have to go once or twice a year for something like 15 years. But it always was for work and frankly, working 0800 to midnight is work regardless where it might be - except perhaps for chow. The food options are, as noted, marvelous. Some of it's even pretty high quality for what it is. One might gain 10 pounds or more in a week's time.

m

Thanks everybody for their suggestions and advice; I'll take it all in.

It's a shame that the "dusty gem in a pawn shop" days don't exist, but I might still be able to find something in one of the chain stores like Same Ash or GC - the currency conversion rate is good, so it means it's still cheaper in the US than in the UK!

I've got the Harley Davidson restaurant on the list for certain, and we're seeing one of the Cirque shows (not sure which -someone else booked!) and a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. We're also doing the zipwire thing across whichever street it is, and there's two shows on at the House of Blues during the week (sadly; no Santana [thumbdn] ).

One of the auto museums was at the Imperial Palace. Not sure if it is still there now though.

I knew Raplh Engelstand <original owner of the palace> and I remember when he bought his first car for the museum, a 1930 model A Ford. He then bought a lot of Harrahs auto from their museum up in Reno.

Any one know if they still have the auto museum at the Imperial Palace?

One of the auto museums was at the Imperial Palace. Not sure if it is still there now though.

I knew Raplh Engelstand <original owner of the palace> and I remember when he bought his first car for the museum, a 1930 model A Ford. He then bought a lot of Harrahs auto from their museum up in Reno.

Any one know if they still have the auto museum at the Imperial Palace?

Just answered my own question. Looks like the auto collection is still there and still bringing in new cars

Archived