Gibson Brands Forums

The right one

jfk

With all due respect, that's like asking what kind of footwear would be appropriate to purchase. It depends on too many factors for me, anyway, to give any sort of response. It could run from an acoustic electric to an SG, full electric archtop to a semihollow such as a 335.

If you want an electric, there are many, many choices. Obviously lots of guys are happy with variations of the LP. I personally prefer an SG or semi-hollow. OTOH, in some cases an AE may be the better choice. Again, playing rhythm, lead, what is the desired music "product?"

Any are good choices if the instrument itself fits your own playing geometry. Then again, I'm the sort who figures a guitar should fit the player and playing style in terms of the player and instrument's geometry. Other folks figure a play should get the guitar that meets his "tone" requirements and then learn how to play it in such a way that gets that tone whether it's initially comfortable or "fits" the player's body dimensions.

Pay your money, take your choice.

m

Well....you know... a Les Paul of some sort would be just fine.

Or (ssshh!) even a Stratocaster. The classic 'country' guitar is a Telecaster.

Les Pauls generally have a thicker sound but Strat might have more tonal variation. A Tele is usually very simple and very treble-y.

These are all solid body guitars of course.

All very subjective as noted in the reply above.

Hello jfk,

you do know you are logged onto a Les Paul specific forum, right?

almost everyone here has a Les Paul and so you are going to get biased opinions in that direction, just as if you asked your question in a Fender or Taylor or any forum

it would be helpful if you would give some more information about yourself such as your playing background and what you are really looking for in a guitar....

Ok thank you!...I was looking at a les paul less plus,or maybe a Stratocaster, would the les paul be able to sound like the stratocaster since it has coil-splitting?...I want a guitar that will do about anYthing, such I know has a lot to do with the amp.

The LP Less plus has the G-force automatic tuner. The coil split won't make it sound exactly like a Strat but near enough - and looking at it the other way, a Strat with single-coil pickups will never sound quite as thick as the LP.

No guitar will do "about everything," depending on definition.

I've played rock on a classical guitar and cowboy on an electric, classical on an archtop and jazz on a flattop - but most folks would choke just thinking of using a miked or acoustic-electric classical to do rock. Or country except... gee, there's Willy Nelson with a classical guitar eh?

An electric or AE guitar is an instrument of two parts - the actual mechanical parts that allow plucking strings in tune, and the wires and electronics that turn an electrical signal into sound.

I know... Yup, folks will say you've gotta have this guitar or that. Frankly I very much dislike Fender guitars with their longer scale (25 1/2 inches between bridge and nut) compared to a Gibson's usual 24 3/4 inches. Or their more rounded "short radius" fingerboards. I know some folks really fit into a Les Paul "shape" as if into well-broken-in boots. Or ditto an SG. Or an explorer or...

But you're the player. What's inside you and how best do you let it flow? Would you wear the shoe size worn by this or that guitar player? No? Why? Because your feet are different sizes. So are your hands and arms and body dimensions compared to a given guitar. I can wear shoes two sizes too large. Sort of. But even one size too small cramps my style and...

Yeah, you'll be playing with other folks, and they'll often suggest that you play the kind of guitar that they envision as appropriate to the kind of music they are playing. And you'll likely listen to them as you listen here. But... is the playing you? Or is the playing your response to how others think you should play?

m

Hi and welcome to the forum.

An ES-175.

The Gibson kind if your resources stretch that far and the Epi variant if you have better things to do with the larger proportion of your hard-earned.

Both sound "as-near-as-makes-no-difference" identical IMX.

Learn what the knobs do and use them well.

P.

Pippy...

I wouldn't argue that one at all - but it almost seems to me that the 175 has a tendency to be something like an Islay single malt - a matter of acquired taste by those who reeeeally are interested in the tonality of life.

m

FZ...

Yup - depending on the player's personal geometry. I'm only really comfortable with 'em up the necka bit rather than at root position - yet on a 175 I feel like the guitar's trying to play itself wherever I'm playing on the neck.

Of course... <grin> I do have the semi myself too...

m

I play similar style and in a similar situation. Any solid well set up Les Paul with coil taps should get you where you need to go. I use a 2010 Studio Deluxe with upgraded pickups SD SH-4 and SH-1 and it does everything I need and some extra. It may not be the tip top of Gibson's lineup but for what I do it doesn't need to be. For a working man, I was able to balance the budget between a very nice LP and a killer rig.

I also recommend looking at a Fender Cabronita telecaster with bigsby. The filtertron pickups have so many dimensions to them there's really no reason it can't be someone's main guitar.

Best of luck to ya.

Archived